I get sooo tired of boring grilled chicken recipes. Most don’t infuse enough flavor and they often turn out dry. Grilled Citrus Chicken is different. Come learn why!
Grilled Citrus Chicken is a flavorful and moist grilled chicken recipe using lemon, orange and garlic. Perfect for a salad, sandwich or to eat on its own!
Grilled chicken often comes with its own set of problems. Lack of flavor and being dried out. I am going to give you a few tips for grilled chicken to make sure this doesn’t happen!
It is actually just one main tip. A tip that will work with nearly any marinated grilled chicken breast recipe.
Tenderize the crap out of it!
Tenderizing your chicken using a meat mallet achieves two things. The first is that your chicken is now a uniform thickness Dry Chicken happens when people cook to the correct temperture at the thickest part of the meat, but that means the rest of the breast is overcooked and rubbery.
The second is that tenderizes breaks down fibers and opens them up, allowing all of the flavors from your marinade to soak right on in. In fact, even if you only have an hour to marinate, tenderizing will still allow it to have flavor, so imagine how great it will taste after 6-24 hours!
Picking the right marinade is also as critical as tenderizing your chicken. You want a marinade that has an acid, salt and fat.
In this case, the lemon, orange and lime provides the acid, the salt is the salt and olive oil is the fat. Beautifully simplistic.
The last seems obvious, but it is the most common mistake when grilling chicken: do not overcook your chicken! Chicken needs to be an internal temperture of 145 degrees.
Take it off the grill right before it approaches this temperature and allow it to rest, which will bring it up to the right temperature. Don’t be worried about looking like an ametuar using a meat thermomtoer. Every notable chef has one attached to their being at all times.
Don’t guess and ruin it, just take the darn temp!
With these tips and my Grilled Citrus Chicken recipe, you will be ready to rock and roll. Use this chicken in a salad, a sandwich or even on its own!
If you liked this grilled chicken, you’ll love these two:
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 garlic glove finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup light virgin olive oil
- Cut slits into each chicken breast about 1/2 inch apart and only cutting half way through the breasts. This will help the marinade sink in and cook quicker on the grill.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large plastic bag along with chicken. Marinate for 10-30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Spray with grill approved cooking spray and place chicken directly over heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until done. Since the sizes of chicken varies greatly, so will the cooking times.
- Remove and cut into strips along pre-made slits. Serve immediately over Eat Smart Superfood Salad or refrigerate and serve chilled.
Chicken can also be baked at 350 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked.