These crispy air fryer chickpeas are the snack you’ve been waiting for. Crispy and crunchy, and so customizable, these chickpeas are done in an instant. They can be combined with any seasoning blends for so many different flavor combinations.
Unconventional as it may be, these legumes make for the perfect quick snack.
The next time you’re searching for easy recipes for a simple snack, try these incredible delicious chickpeas in the air fryer.
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Chickpeas
Whether you typically love chickpeas or not, once they’re fried and seasoned they’re as (or more) delicious than popcorn or chips for an easy, filling snack.
- Easy – This is the easiest healthy snack you can make! Just a can of beans, a bit of oil from your pantry, and the seasonings that you love will make the best protein-packed snack.
- Convenient – All of the ingredients are easily accessible and it’s also perfect to pack for lunch, a hike, or a day at the beach.
- Versatile – This handy snack is great to keep around for snacking on the fly but it’s also an original snack to serve at parties.
Just a few simple ingredients will yield a quick, great snack.
- Can of chickpeas – Be sure to completely drain the chickpeas and pat dry. Different brands have varying textures. Find one you like and stick to it. Some are creamier, while others more hard.
- Extra virgin olive oil – This is our favorite but you can use your own favorite oil like avocado oil or canola oil.
- Seasoning – Any seasonings you want will work well with this. Use a seasoning mix or choose your own favorites. I have some suggestions below.
How to Make Air Fryer Chickpeas
Just a couple steps — could this be any easier?
- Air fry. Place prepared chickpeas in the air fryer basket sprayed with cooking spray in a single layer and cook for the recommended time. You can also use an easy parchment liner.
- Toss in seasoning. After removing from the air fryer, toss in a bowl with oil and seasoning.
What to Serve with Chickpeas from the Air Fryer
Serve these tasty bites with anything you like — if you’re eating them solo while doing some streaming service binging, have some bacon caramel popcorn and cheesy pigs in a blanket for a comfy night under the blankets with snacks. They also make a great salad topper.
You can make so many different versions of these tasty chickpeas.
- Seasonings – We love a bit of lime juice and a bit of salt on top to season chickpeas. Seasoning can be any blend of dried herbs and spices. Some of our favorites include Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, fajita seasoning, taco seasoning, zatar, blackened seasoning, Chinese five spice, montreal steak seasoning, Salad Supreme, garlic salt, seasoned salt, celery salt or even nutritional yeast to flavor these chickpeas. Any combination of spices that you love will work for these tasty treats.
- Sweetness – If you want a sweet treat, try dusting the chickpeas with cinnamon sugar.
- Canned beans – Use other beans that you love!
Storage, Make Ahead and Freezing
Store these crunchy peas for a few days for quick snacking or salad garnishing.
Make-Ahead: If you’re looking to serve these as a party snack, you can make them a day or so ahead of time.
Refrigerator: After they’ve cooled to room temperature, keep these in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freezer: You can freeze them for up to 6 months; however, we don’t recommend it based on the potential for the texture to change afterwards.
Common Questions About Air Fryer Chickpeas
This is normal — you will hear some popping sounds. But when they’re finished the deliciousness will be worth the noise.
The secret to crispy chickpeas is to make sure they lack any moisture before cooking. Be sure to keep them completely dry to avoid mushiness — blotting with paper towels helps to avoid incorporating moisture.
Full of fiber and protein, chickpeas are one of the best snacks you can indulge in.
Yes, they are the same and commonly called garbanzo in Spanish dishes. Italians sometimes call them chichi beans and they are also known as Egyptian peas.
More Savory Snacks
Air Fryer Chickpeas
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning*
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a colander. Spread them out on a paper towel lined plate and pat dry.
- Place the dried chickpeas in an air fryer basket and set to 380°F for 12-14 minutes, shaking half way.
- Remove from the air fryer and transfer them to a mixing bowl. Toss with the olive oil to fully coat.
- When fully coated, toss them with the seasoning of your choice.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.