Can any dish with honey and cinnamon not taste good? Or something prepared in cast iron?
Nope! Honey Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes with Honey and Cinnamon made in a cast iron skillet is right up that alley.
Pan Fried Sweet Potatoes
A few weeks back I asked a couple of neighborhood friends to bring over their favorite fall dishes in anticipation of Thanksgiving. Tiff hauled over her giant cast iron skillet filled with sticky and sweet, sweet potatoes tossed with honey and cinnamon.
Honey Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes are a cast iron recipe that utilizes just a few simple ingredients. Sweet potatoes, honey, cinnamon, and butter are all it takes for this versatile side dish recipe.
Cast iron sweet potatoes for the WIN!
Sweet Potato Side Dish
- Potato parmesan stacks
- Twice baked sweet potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Soup
Even though we were serving these Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes as a side dish, they could have just as easily been a dessert, they were SO good. Everyone kept going back for more and more!
FACT: Sweet Potatoes are the official vegetable of North Carolina.
How to Make It!
And the recipe was so easy!
Cast iron is perfect for this sweet side dish because it doesn’t stick and the heavy, thick bottom prevents the sugars from burning too quickly. The result is a nice caramelization vs. a bitter char. Plus, cast iron cooking is just plain cool.
The key to that beautiful, stick-free cook is making sure your cast iron pan is well seasoned. Also, never wash your cast iron with soap and water. It takes the seasoning aka “the non-stick” right away.
Now how to make these bad boys…
- Do your best to cut the potatoes roughly the same size. This goes for most dishes as it means that they will cook at roughly the same rate. Translation: beautiful, even color every time.
- Add the potatoes to your cast iron pan and heat over high heat to sear the outside.
- Toss with honey and seasonings and then transfer to the oven to finish it off. Since sweet potatoes aren’t very starchy, you don’t want to toss and stir them frequently or they will fall apart. Starting with a char and then baking is the best way to get a crunchy outside with a fluffy inside.
Once they are done, you can even serve your Honey Cinnamon Potatoes in the skillet. Grab a mitt for the handle and a trivet and you are ready to go. Did someone say fewer dishes to wash? Don’t have to ask me twice!
FACT: Baby sweet potato leaves and shoots are sometimes consumed instead of the actual potato!
Sweet Potato Benefits
I almost forgot to mention. Sweet potatoes are great for you! Not only are they high in fiber, but they are packed with other great things like iron, calcium, Vitamins B & C and beta-carotene, an antioxidant.
One thing is for sure, if you need a winning side dish to feed friends and family, this is going to be at the top of the list in no time at all.
Check out more side dishes:
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Honey Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add sweet potatoes to a large cast iron pan on hot heat. Allow to sear on all sides until lightly brown and crust develops.
- Toss with honey, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Transfer entire skillet to the oven to finish cooking. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until you can easily pierce a sweet potato cube.
- Remove and serve hot!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!