Just because this recipe is easy, it doesn’t mean it’s not packed full of flavor and nutrition! This recipe will help you embrace all the sweet potato benefits it has to offer!
What's In This Article
Spicy Sweet Potato soup is a healthy blend of vegetables with a sweet and spicy kick! This soup definitely falls under the category of easy soup recipes.
Hubby and I generally have very busy lives. Gym at 5:15am, office by 7, he sometimes travels, home by 5-6pm, house chores, etc. The one thing we bond over every single day (unless one of us is traveling of course) is food.
Most often it is dinner, but on one special day our schedules aligned and we realized that we were within 2 blocks of one another around lunch time.
We met at a swanky hotel with a bistro decorated with overstuffed leather chairs and oil paintings of polo matches and fox trots where we shared a bowl of Spicy Sweet Potato Bisque.
We should have just ordered two because we were having an immature spoon fight over the last little bits.
I obsessed over the taste for about a week before I decided to make my own Spicy Sweet Potato Soup, which has the lovely addition of chorizo for both texture and taste. My soup is actually a bisque, but somehow “soup” seems to be more approachable.
Below is the magic that happened. A spicy and sweet, stick-to-your-ribs bisque that you will crave again and again. This sweet potato soup also freezes well and is perfect for lunch.
Make as an appetizer entree or side. Control the heat by reducing or increasing chili powders.
Make-Ahead & Freezing
Storage and Make-Ahead: This soup is excellent to make in large batches for meal prep or to serve the next day. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat, or in the microwave at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds, until hot. The total time will depend on your wattage and the volume of soup. Start with just 90 second for a single bowl.
Freezing: Sadly, soups with cream or dairy can be frozen, but do not thaw well. They seperate and this results in a grainy texture that can not be smoothed out after reheating. But you can make the soup without dairy and then add it in while reheating.
Store in an airtight container filled to the brim or a plastic freezer bag. Remember, air is the enemy so even in an airtight container, try to have as little air as possible (hence filling to the brim).
More soup recipes:
Spicy Sweet Potato Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 inch large sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder , more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder , more or less to taste
- 4 links Mexican chorizo , casings removed
- 1 cup fat free half &half
- limes , for garnish
- smoked paprika , for garnish
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions, garlic and ginger until soft and fragrant.
- Add lime juice and sweet potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Stir in vegetable broth through chipotle chili powder. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil until sweet potatoes are soft and starting to fall apart (approximately 20 minutes, but times will vary depending on the size you cut your potatoes).
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Using an immersion blender or a food processor, puree the sweet potato mixture, mixture will be the consistency of apple sauce.
- In Dutch oven over low heat, stir in half & half. If you prefer to thin out your bisque, add additional vegetable broth or apple juice.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with chorizo, smoked paprika and a squeeze of fresh lime. Enjoy!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, please come back to let us know how it was!
Plain Greek yogurt can also be substituted for half & half.