Happy National Sweet Potato Day!!!! I decided to leave the sweet potato casseroles alone this year and try out a new recipe for Southwestern Sweet Potato Pancakes!
Southwestern Sweet Potato Pancakes are made with mashed sweet potatoes, green chile, corn and southwest spices making then sweet and smoky. Served with a cool, avocado dipping sauce.
Did you know that sweet potatoes are very different from yams? Even in a different botanical family altogether? Many Americans use them interchangeably and for most recipes that will do, but if you are also looking for the health benefits, make sure you grab a sweet potato, not a yam.
Sweet potatoes, on average, only have about 115 calories per potato and pack many vitamins, nutrients and fiber, making those 115 calories count… in a good way.
Did you also know that there are many varieties of sweet potatoes and they come in different colors? Only some variations are the golden hue we come to expect.
They can range from a pale yellow, nearly white like a baking potato, to purple. I haven’t been able to locate any purple sweet potatoes, but if you do, please let me know because I am thinking a purple sweet potato pancake would be pretty awesome!
Southwestern Sweet Potato Pancakes combines traditional southwestern flavors of scallions, diced green chiles, corn and cilantro in a fun finger food. Pair with a cool avocado dipping sauce and you are all set for a vegetarian friendly main meal, side dish or appetizer!
If you like this potato pancake recipe, here are a few more sweet potato recipes you might enjoy:
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 scallion chopped, greens and whites
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 avocado mashed
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- Pierce sweet potatoes generously with a fork. Wrap each in a paper towel and set on a plate. Microwave separately on high for 6 minutes, turning half way through. If potato is not soft to the touch, microwave for an additional 2 minutes. Allow to cool before handling.
- Cut in half and scrape out softened sweet potato, discard skins. Add scallions through bread crumbs and blend thoroughly. Sweet potato sizes can vary, add more bread crumbs if the mixture isn't sticking together.
- Form into 10 sweet potato pancakes, about 3 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Set in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet on medium-high setting. When oil is hot, add half (or less, being careful not to crowd the pan) of your sweet potato pancake patties. Allow to brown (about 3 minutes) before turning. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Cook remained sweet potato pancakes.
- To make yogurt sauce, blend together all three ingredients. Serve hot and enjoy!
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!