Buttery Sweet Potato Recipe
Love sweet potatoes, but want to jazz them up a bit? This Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes recipe uses bold flavors like mascarpone, garlic, and oregano to complement the classic, sweet tuber.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes take the deliciousness of whipped sweet potatoes and put them into their own little, serveable boats.
Here goes the question someone will undoubtedly ask: are yams and sweet potatoes the same thing? The answer is NO.
Although they look similar, they are very different and chances are you’ve probably never had a real yam.
For the in-depth explanation, I suggest to you check out what Alton Brown has to say about the subject. This will make for great dinner conversation, especially the part about “man yams.”
If you want the Cliff Notes version, here goes: both are root vegetables that come from a flowering plant. However, yams are long, cylindrical, and have an almost bark-like exterior. They are also drier and more starchy.
Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, have tapered ends and skin similar to the potatoes we all know and love. The skin and flesh of these can all vary and are not just the orange/copper colored variety you think of.
You learn something new every day! This Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes recipe makes use of the orange-flesh variety of sweet potato, but feel free to try it with others if that is what your grocery store is carrying.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes can be served as a side dish or entree. With 300 calories a serving, they are a winning recipe!
If you liked this Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes recipe, try some of my other potato recipes:
- Cast Iron Sweet Potatoes with Honey and Cinnamon
- Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Rosemary Parmesan Sweet Potato Stacks
- Cheesy Tater Tots
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Cinnamon Sugar Sweet Potato Fries
- Chile Garlic Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Potatoes O’Brien
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce both potatoes several times with a potato nail or serving fork (something long). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place potatoes on the rimmed baking sheet and cook for 40-45 minutes. Potatoes should be soft to the touch. Remove and allow to cool until you are able to handle them.
- Sweet potato skins are not nearly as hearty as other types of potatoes, so be gentle. Cut them in half and spoon out cooked flesh to a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with mascarpone, gruyere cheese, kosher salt, butter, and dried oregano.
- Spoon mixture back into potato skins.
- Coat a small, high sided baking dish with cooking spray. Place filled sweet potatoes into the dish. Try to make them fit snug so they don’t fall over.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving. Top with chives and Maldon sea salt.
- Your opinion means a lot to us. Please come back and leave us a comment to let us know if you made any modifications and how the recipe turned out!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!