Looking to take your taco night to the next level? These Zucchini Taco boats are a great way to enjoy that taco flavor you love, while also keeping dinner on the healthier side.
Much like in zucchini bread or air fryer zucchini fries, fresh zucchini is a healthy alternative to enjoy some of your favorite recipes without all the carbs.
Tacos are a staple in our house, and whether I’m on a diet or not, sometimes it’s nice to put a fun twist on a classic dinner. And this recipe does just that.
The best part about this recipe is that when you swap out the taco shells for zucchini, you’re getting an extra helping of vegetables! Taco Tuesday will never be the same after you’ve tried this recipe.
Zucchini Taco Boats Ingredients
Made with healthy, simple ingredients, this is a great recipe for meal prep or any weeknight dinner.
- Zucchini – If it’s zucchini season, this is a great way to reap the harvest of your zucchini plant. If not, it’s easy to find at your local grocery store in the produce section.
- Ground turkey – Chances are if you’re looking at this recipe, you’re trying to be a little healthier. Using ground turkey is a great way to do this because it’s very lean.
- Onion – I like to use yellow onions for their sweet flavor. They pair perfectly with this zucchini taco boat recipe.
- Olive oil – We need something to help oil the pan while we sauté the onions. any neutral oil will work, but I prefer to use olive oil.
- Salsa – Use your favorite store bought brand, or make your own! Chunky salsa works best for this recipe.
- Seasoning – Have you ever made your own homemade taco seasoning? It’s a simple blend of garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, fine sea salt and black pepper.
- Rice – You can use either white or brown rice. Both taste great, it’s just up to your personal preference.
- Cheese – I like to use shredded sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use mexican blend cheeses or whatever you prefer to top your tacos with.
How to Make Zucchini Taco Boats
There’s nothing I love more than an easy dinner recipe, and it doesn’t get much easier than this one.
- Prepare oven and baking sheet. Preheat oven and coat a large rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare zucchini. Wash zucchinis, trim off the stem ends, and cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to carefully scoop the center flesh out of zucchini halves.
- Sauté onions and cook meat. Heat a large pan or skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil and onions. Let cook until onions are translucent, then add ground turkey meat.
- Add rice and seasonings. Add rice, salsa, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add meat to zucchini. Divide the cooked taco meat equally into the hallowed cooked zucchini boats. Press the meat firming into the boats with a spoon. Cover with foil and bake.
- Melt cheese. Remove the foil and top with shredded cheese, place back in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add toppings. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
This zucchini boat recipe can be made many ways; so feel free to experiment and make it your own!
- Meat – I used ground turkey for my taco zucchini boats, but you can use any taco meat mixture you’d like to. Lean ground beef, ground chicken or even shredded chicken will all work well for your taco filling.
- Toppings – Make these taco-stuffed zucchini boats your own by adding your favorite taco toppings. Some suggestions include: romaine lettuce, green onion, spicy salsa, red onions, bell pepper, black beans or anything you’d put on traditional tacos.
- Rice – If you’d like to make this easy dinner even more low carb, consider using cauliflower rice in place of the white or brown rice.
Storage and Freezing
Storage: You can store leftover Zucchini Taco Boats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three to four days.
Freezing: While you can freeze this recipe, zucchini tends to become much softer after freezing and thawing, so keep that in mind. Store in an airtight container.
More Easy Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini Taco Boats
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1/3 cup yellow onion; diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild chunky salsa
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: avocado cilantro , salsa, pico de galo, olives, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Trim off the stem ends of the zucchini and cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to carefully scoop the center flesh out.
- Heat a large pan or skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil and onions. Let cook until onions are translucent, then add ground turkey meat.
- Add rice, salsa, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Let the meat for 4-5 minutes until completely cooked through.
- Divide the cooked taco meat equally into the hallowed cooked zucchini boats. Press the meat firming into the boats with a spoon. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and top with shredded cheese, place back in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!