Sausage Stromboli Recipe
Sausage Stromboli is a classic meal in many Italian households. This recipe is totally delicious, and it’s made easy with a hack using refrigerated pizza dough!
Peperoncini Sausage Stromboli is a crave-worthy, easy dinner recipe that your whole family will enjoy. Check out all the ways to make this dish your new family favorite.
Easy and versatile, there are a host of ingredients that you can throw in the dough to use up bits and pieces leftover in your vegetable crisper. But every once and while you hit on a “jack pot” recipe.
When your family takes a bite and stares at your wide-eyed like you’ve just levitated upon the dinner table. There are no leftovers. Only gentle hints that “they wouldn’t be upset if you made the same thing every night this week.”
That, my foodie friends, is what happened when I made my classic Sausage Stromboli recipe into a Peperoncini Sausage Stromboli.
Mezzetta Peperoncini are a staple at our home. While most may only see them grace the side of a delivery pizza box, I use them in:
- antipasto platters
- for snacking
- and even in sauces and salsas
We always get to the bottom of the jar and often have another on the pantry shelf ready to replace it!
Golden Peperoncini are typically seen in Italian dining, but are in fact Greek in origin. Now they are grown throughout the Mediterranean region, including Tuscany.
One thing is for sure, these golden beauties need plenty of sun to achieve their piquant, fruity nature with a hint of heat. I also love anything that adds texture and salt, of which Mezzetta Peperoncini does both.
Sausage and Pepper Stromboli is a always a favorite night in our house. Although we also use chicken, ground beef or even just veggie, sausage is always a winner.
I keep ground sausage in the freezer and pizza dough in the fridge. Everything else that comes into play is an added bonus. Usually bits and pieces of vegetables and cheese leftover in the fridge after a week of home-cooked meals.
Dipping sauces range greatly in what is available as well, but the goal is always to use up what we already have instead of making something new.
- Most of the time that means tomato sauce, classic and always around in an Italian household.
- But sometimes we stray and use this Best Creamy Italian Dressing
- Or even an Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
- You could use this Best Fry Sauce Recipe
- Or a Honey Chipotle BBQ
Just because an Italian sausage stromboli recipe is Italian in nature, doesn’t mean that the sauces and flavors have to be. Think outside of the box!
Peperoncini Sausage Stromboli is a fairly traditional preparation of stromboli. You can use sweet or spicy Italian sausage, coupled with sauted onions, sliced golden peperoncini and feta and mozzarella cheese.
I like to sweat my onions before adding to the dough just to reduce the amount of liquid releasing, resulting a crisper dough. However, in a pinch, you can skip this step. Sausage, however, needs to be precooked.
Sometimes I even do this the night before. from there, Sausage Stromboli recipe easy only takes 30 minutes from start to finish and most of that time is hands-off in the oven!
If you liked this Italian Sausage Stromboli recipe, check out these other delicious Italian recipes:
- Everything Meatball Stromboli
- Easy Calzones
- Portabella Pizza
- Pesto Mozzarella Pizza
- Jerk Pizza
- Bacon Cheddar Pizza
- Thai Chicken Pizza
- Cold Seafood Salad Recipe
- Creamy Italian Chicken Pasta
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
A delicious weeknight meal, sausage stromboli is also great for freezing and serving at parties!
Peperoncini Sausage Stromboli
- 3/4 pound ground Italian sausage cooked ,crumbled and drained
- 2 tablespoons onion sautéed
- 1/2 cup Mezzetta Peperoncini thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 can refrigerated pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the baking sheet or pizza stone in the oven.
- Roll out pizza dough on a floured surface to approximately 16×8 inches. Place stuffing ingredients including ground sausage, sauteed onion, pepperoncini, feta and mozzarella cheese down the center.
- Fold over both long sides of the pizza dough and the ends. Carefully flip over, cutting 5-6 slits in the top of your stromboli to allow steam to release. This helps make the dough crispier.
- If using topping, which is optional, whisk together egg and heavy cream. Baste on top.
- Carefully transfer stromboli to preheated oven. Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and sounds hollow if tapped with a wooden spoon.
- If desired, top with additional shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 1-2 additional minutes or until melted. Top with minced parsley and Maldon Salt.
- Allow your Peperoncini Sausage Stromboli to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into slices and serving with marinara sauce.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know!