This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is creamy, cheesy, and everything you want in a homemade mac and cheese recipe! The best part?
It is ready in under 10 minutes, this is an easy meal that can’t be beat. From dry, uncooked pasta to cheesy creamy goodness in a jiffy.
Of all of the Instant Pot recipes, this pressure cooker mac and cheese is the best! Creamy, flavorful homemade mac and cheese, the ultimate comfort food.
What's In This Article
Table of contents
Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot
Comfort food is my favorite food. By definition, a comfort food is a food that provides consolation or a feeling of well-being. Homemade Mac and cheese is definitely one of those foods for me (and many others). The creamy, cheesy goodness warms me right to the core.
This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is easy and flavorful. With lots of cheddar cheese and evaporated milk to make it extra creamy.
You’ll be amazed that this recipe comes together using just 6 ingredients!
- Unsalted butter- If using salted butter, omti the coarse kosher salt.
- Elbow macaroni– I like elbows because the shape really clings to a cheese sauce. Of course you can swap this out, but the cooking time might vary depending on the shape and size of the pasta.Pasta shapes with nooks, crannies, twists and turn are the best for clinging to cheese sauce. Elbows, shells, rotini cavatappi and campanelle are some of my favorites.
- Coarse Kosher salt- Or coarse sea salt work best. Do not use a fine sea salt or iodized salt. In this amount, it will be far too salty. Reduce to just 1/2 teaspoon if using that amount.
- Evaporated milk– Evaporated milk is whole milk that has a lot of the water content evaporated out so it is think and the purest form of milk. Do not use a sweetened condensed milk, or you’ll have a dessert pasta.
- Sharp cheddar cheese– For cheesiest flavor, I like a sharp cheddar. Make sure to shred your own, pre shredded is tossed in a starch to prevent sticking. This in addition to the flour can impact the overall consistency and wind up gritty. Other flavors include gouda, monterey jack, Swiss, gruyere and any type of cheddar. You can also use blends to elevate the flavor profile.
- Flour- for thickening. Yes, a gluten-free alternative can be used, such as cornstarch or GF flour. Cornstarch should be used a t half the volume, while GF flours will have a ratio swap on the packaging.
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Place the butter, elbow pasta, salt and 4 cups water to inner pot. Stir well so the salt dissolves evenly and all of the pasta is wet.
- Cover and lock the lid in place, set to manual high pressure for 4 minutes. At the end of 4 minutes, use the quick release method.
- Toss the shredded cheddar cheese with the flour so it is evenly coated.
- While the pasta is still hot, stir in the evaporated milk and shredded cheddar cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Serve it hot or with seasoned bread crumbs sprinkled on top.
One of the things I love the most about mac and cheese in general is how easily you can customize it. Of course you have the traditional mac and cheese like this recipe, but you can also add so many other ingredients to kick it up a notch.
- Spice it up! If you like a little heat, try adding some jalapenos or sriracha. Adding bacon provides a nice, salty crunch. You can even add broccoli to get your veggies in.
- Cheese Varieties- The best cheese for mac and cheese includes gouda, monterey jack, Swiss, gruyere and any type of cheddar. You can also use blends to elevate the flavor profile.
- To make it a more well-rounded meal, try adding sliced chicken breasts or even cooked and drained ground beef. I also like using a grilled smoked sausage.
- Crispy crunchies- One thing you can do to make this recipe ahead and have crispy crunchies on top is to make the mac and cheese and transfer it to a baking dish.
Make-Ahead, Leftovers & Freezing
It can surely be made ahead, but seeing it is such an easy recipe, why should you? Mac and cheese is always the best freshly prepared. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
Can I freeze macaroni and cheese? Cooked mac and cheese can be frozen. Store it in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
What is the best way to reheat macaroni and cheese? I find the best way to reheat macaroni and cheese is to add an addition tablespoon or so of milk to revive the cheese sauce.
More homemade mac and cheese recipe:
- Aged Gouda and Sriracha Mac and Cheese
- Bacon Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
- Creamed Spinach Shells and Cheese
- Summer Vegetable Mac and Cheese
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Place the butter, elbow pasta, salt and 4 cups water to inner pot. Stir well.
- Cover and lock the lid in place, set to manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Use the quick release method.
- Toss the shredded cheddar cheese with the flour.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and shredded cheddar cheese until smooth and creamy.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.