Traditional comfort foods are too hot and heavy for summer, but I still crave dishes that make me feel warm and fuzzy. Well, warm emotionally, because during the summer, I like my soup chilled. Which is why Green Gazpacho is ideal.
Green Gazpacho is a chilled soup made from cucumber, tomatillos and jalapenos with a yogurt base. A perfect make ahead soup to serve on a hot summer day!
Most people would agree that a hot bowl of soup does not sound good on a hot summer day. However, chilled soups are just perfect!
This green gazpacho soup uses a handful of green veggies such as tomatillo, lime, cucumber, bell pepper and jalapenos for the perfect blend of spicy, sweet and cool.
Have you ever wondered what gives blended soups volume and body? Bread.
Torn bread blended well with other ingredients will make any soup more substantial and eliminate the worry of watery porridge. Gluten free bread can be substituted for those with allergies.
Also of note, chilled soups can become muted, especially if they sit for a bit before serving. While Green Gazpacho is an excellent make-ahead, no-bake, no-cook option, make sure you stir well and correct the salt before serving to your guests.
To make Green Gazpacho into an entree, add grilled shrimp, scallops or corn. Garnish with beautiful microgreens.
If you are looking for ever more soup recipes, check these out:
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups thick crusted bread crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes (ciabatta or Italian work well)
- 1 hothouse cucumber seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tomatillos husked and quartered
- 4 scallions tops removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 jalapenos seeded and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt whisked with 2 teaspoons water
- Smoked paprika
- Lemon infused olive oil
- Microgreens optional
- Grilled shrimp optional
- Grilled scallops optional
- Grilled corn optional
- Combine white wine vinegar through Kosher salt in a large bowl, Fold to cover all items in yogurt. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Working in batches, transfer all items to food processor or heavy duty blender. Blend until smooth, repeat with remaining mix. Stir well to combine batches Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, stir well and taste. Green Gazpacho may need additional salt to brighten flavor profile.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with thinned yogurt, smoked paprika and lemon infused olive oil.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!