If a warm, creamy, rich soup is your idea of comfort food, this Butternut Squash Soup is perfect for you.
My Butternut Squash Soup recipe is the perfect way to celebrate the spoils of fall all year long. Served hot or chilled, your guests are in for a treat.
While squash is typically thought of as a fall and winter vegetable, you can find it in the grocery store all year long. The subtle sweetness of this Butternut Squash Soup pairs perfectly with jumbo lump crab meat and rosemary mushrooms.
Butternut squash is a great vegetable to use in soups as it is hearty and full of starch which will give your soup that wonderfully rich texture. It is naturally flavorful on its own, but I like to throw in some warm spices for depth.
Instead of cream, try some yogurt. Plain Organic Stonyfield Yogurt is my favorite and helps lend creaminess without adding too many calories.
Apple is a natural pairing with the squash. I like to use apple juice and apple butter to get that wonderful flavor without adding too much to the cook time.
Sautéed rosemary mushrooms add a bold, aromatic savory element and the jumbo lump crab meat make it just a touch decadent. This Butternut Squash soup can be served hot or chilled.
You can make it ahead and warm it for guests or freeze it and save it for a rainy night. Place in an airtight container and store for up to 3 months! Frozen soups can lose a little flavor, so make sure you correct the seasoning with salt and pepper before serving.
If you enjoyed this Butternut Squash Soup recipe, check out these easy soup recipes:
- Asparagus Soup
- Leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Spicy Crab and Sausage Soup
- Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
- 2 lbs butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes
- 9.5 ounces apple butter
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary wholeremoved
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crab meat or shrimp
- Honey for a drizzle garnish optional
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lay cubed butternut squash in a single layer, roast for 30-35 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
- While butternut squash roasts, place sliced mushrooms and rosemary leaves in a medium skillet over medium heat. Turning occasionally, the mushrooms will release enough liquid to prevent sticking. Saute until they have reduced in size by half and browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a large food processor or large dutch oven. using the food processor or a stick/immersion blender, blend butternut squash with apple butter through fine sea salt.
- If you are serving your soup chilled, place in the refrigerator until fully cooled. If you are serving soup warm, heat over medium heat on large Dutch oven or pot.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Top with 2 tablespoons mushrooms and 4 pieces of jumbo lump crab per bowl.
Enjoy your Butternut Squash Soup with Jumbo Lump Crab and Rosemary Mushrooms!