Black bean brownies?! Say what…yes, believe it or not these flourless brownies are quite possibly the most delicious homemade brownies you’ll ever make. Trust me on this one!
Black Bean Brownies are delicious, rich gluten free brownies. Since they’re flourless brownies and the black beans are full of fiber, this is actually a healthy brownie recipe!
Black beans in brownies? Really? No, thanks…that’s what I originally thought when I first heard of black bean brownies.
There was absolutely no way that black beans could taste good in dessert or even come anywhere close to tasting like chocolate.
Well, it turns out I was wrong.
Black Bean Brownies are actually an easy way to make delicious gluten free brownies. Oh, and they’re flourless brownies too! The perfect guilt-free dessert!
If you’ve tried to make homemade healthy brownies before, I’m going to guess and say you’ve probably tested some recipes that resulted in dry brownies.
If you’re a fan of cake-like brownies, maybe that’s not an issue but if you’re a fudgy brownie kind of person like me, you were probably a little disappointed.
Despite containing only 2 tablespoons of butter, these gluten-free brownies are deliciously fudgy and not at all dry. Just be sure to stick to the recommended bake time so as not to overcook them.
And there is so little clean-up because the whole thing is made in a blender! My Blendtec has a cleaning cycle, so it was literally done by the time I had my brownies in the oven.
So, what do these Black Bean Brownies taste like? Chocolate. Seriously. These flourless brownies turn black beans into something that tastes like chocolate.
I’ve even sampled these on people who didn’t know what they were and they never would have guessed they were eating Black Bean Brownies.
A good healthy brownie recipe is hard to find, so I definitely recommend trying this Black Bean Brownies. So here is the skinny on how to make black bean brownies:
- Preheat your oven and prepare a pan by lining with parchment paper for easy release. A square 9×9 pan works best.
- Place black beans and 1 egg in a blender, blending and scraping the sides until a paste forms. Add one egg at a time, blending between additions, if you add them all at once, it gets globby and yucky.
- Add honey, melted butter, vanilla extract and almond extract, blending well and scraping down the sides. Some folks use melted coconut oil for a dairy free version, but I don’t think the aftertaste of coconut. No need for granulated sugar since we are using honey!
- Add in cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, blending one more time until smooth. Some folks like using a melted butter and chocolate mix. You can use 2 ounces of melted and smooth chocolate, but I find cocoa powder to just be easier.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Top chocolate mixture with chocolate chips for the ultimate chocolate-y recipe.
- Bake and cool completely before lifting out of the pan and cutting. Are you ready to taste the greatest recipe ever for healthy(ish) brownies?
Whether you’re looking specifically for gluten-free brownies or flourless brownies are just trying to find a guilt-free homemade brownie recipe, you won’t find anything better than these.
I guarantee no one will ever know there are actually beans in these delicious brownies!
Tools for making Fudgy Black Bean Brownies:
Blender– don’t skimp on a blender, especially if you plan to make frozen drinks. You need something high powered to get ice into slush.
You can use it for other things as well like making sauces and salad dressings, smoothie bowls, mayonnaise, hollandaise sauce and much more!
Square Glass Baking Dish– I prefer glass to metal any day of the week. It looks nicer longer and usually comes with a lid.
Scroll on down for even more Chocolate Brownie Recipes!
Try these other brownie recipes!
And brownie mix hacks in case you are feeling a little lazy. We won’t judge you.Flourless Black Bean Brownies are a delicious, fudgy gluten free brownie recipe. Healthy brownie recipes have never tasted this good!
Flourless Black Bean Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9 square baking dish with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- Place black beans and 1 egg in a blender, blending and scraping the sides until a paste forms.
- Add one egg at a time, blending between additions.
- Add honey, melted butter, vanilla extract and almond extract, blending well and scraping down the sides.
- Add in cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, blending one more time.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the center passes the toothpick test.
- Cool completely before cutting into 9 brownies.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
- Easy Homemade Brownies by Pretty Providence
- Brownie Peppermint Ice Cream Pie by Real Mom Kitchen
- Healthy Brownies by Namely Marly
- Simple Chocolate Orange Brownies by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies by Creations by Kara
- Chocolate Gingerbread Brownies by The Baker Upstairs
- Christmas Tree Brownies by SupergoldenBakes
And even more chocolate brownies recipes…