What’s better than chewy, gooey brownies? Well, Nutella flavored chewy, gooey brownies with a delicious crackling top!
Homemade Nutella brownies are made in one bowl. With 7 simple ingredients and in less than 1 hour you can enjoy a piece of this delicious brownie recipe!
Brownies, Lovely Brownies
If I had to choose only one dessert, brownies would be the one. I love the intense chocolate flavor and the chewy texture they have!
Brownies are originally from the US. The first time a brownie recipe was published was in 1896 by Fanny Farmer.
The recipe was included in The Boston Cooking-School Cookbook. However, it was not at all like the brownies we know today and included no chocolate: it was more like a blondie than a brownie.
Pro Tip: Make sure your baking powder is fresh and still active.
I’ve been making from-scratch brownies (with chocolate!) for more than 10 years, and I keep to this one recipe that always works.
These Nutella brownies are a modification of my tried and true brownie recipe. I swapped some of the sugar and oil for lots of Nutella.
What is Nutella?
Nutella is a brand of sweetened roasted hazelnut spread that also has cocoa powder. It goes so well with bananas and strawberries (and also tastes great on these pancakes!) Some people like to spread it on toast or waffles.
For this brownie recipe, it’s going to bind the ingredients together. It creates fudgy brownies with hazelnut flavor and a moist crumb.
How to Make Nutella Brownies
Start by pulling all your ingredients from your pantry. Before you start mixing them, preheat the oven to 350F.
Get a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, measure and add Nutella, oil, egg, and sugar. Mix well.
Now add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Give it another mix and pour the Nutella brownies batter into a baking dish- we like a 9×9 square pan.
Pro Tip: If you want to remove the whole brownie from the pan, line it with parchment paper or tin foil.
This is totally optional, but you can heat about 2 tablespoons of Nutella and drop little puddles on the brownie or top with chocolate chips. Grab a knife and swirl it all around. These options just make them super fudgy.
Now it’s time to bake it for 35 minutes, or until the center of the brownies no longer jiggles and is just set to the touch and when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes in the pan before removing or cutting.
Brownies can be baked 2 or 4 days before serving. This is great when you are serving them for a party.
To prevent brownies from drying, don’t slice it into portions yet. Wrap the entire brownie in plastic film and then cover it with tin foil. There is no need to refrigerate it- just store them at room temperature.
PRO TIP: Keep your brownies in the pan and cover the top with fresh white bread. The moisture protects and keeps your brownies soft.
You can freeze these Nutella Brownies too, for up to 3 months. I like to freeze them sliced. Wrap each slice in plastic film and then put them in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. That way you can just pop one out of the freezer and add it to your lunch bag.
Here are some other delicious brownies:
- Flourless Black Bean Brownies
- S’mores Brownies
- White Chocolate Brownies
- Lime Brownies
- Cosmic Brownies
- Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Tips for making brownies:
- Make sure your baking powder is fresh and still active.
- Preheat your oven before mixing all your ingredients.
- If you want to remove the whole brownie from the pan, line it with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Wait at least 20 minutes before cutting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper or tin foil and spray with cooking oil.
- In a big mixing bowl, add Nutella, vegetable oil, sugar and eggs; mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. If adding Nutella swirl, heat Nutella in the microwave for 20 seconds and drop by teaspoons on top. Using a knife, swirl the Nutella into the batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the center of the brownies no longer jiggles and is just set to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes in the pan before removing or cutting.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!