These fudgy brownies will make the perfect dessert for any night of the week! And the best part is that this dessert brings together two amazing desserts!
Fudgy Brownie Bars are an easy dessert recipe with layers of brownie, cookie and chocolate ganache, the ultimate chocolate lovers dream!
Fudgy Brownie Bars combine two fabulous desserts: brownies with cookies! How did this come about? A co-worker brought me in a box of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies… (which is how all fabulous stories start, right?)
I drove home with them in the car, went to the gym and by the time I got home they had heated ever so slightly and then stuck together. When I tried to pry them apart I got nothing but Thin Mint dust. I love Thin Mints and was not going to let this go to waste. #nothinmintleftbehind
What to do, what to do? Mix into a cookie dough, make cookies out of cookies? Press into a pie crust? Or combine with brownies.
I decided not to make the typical brownie batter and just fold it in, like my Junior Mint Brownies, but instead to make a thick, rich, chewy brownie bar.
I based my recipe off Nestle Toll House Brownies and the rest is history! Cake-like brownies spread thick with a layer of heavenly cream cheese whipped with your favorite cookie crumbs and capped with a crunchy layer of chocolate.
You can use whichever cookie you want! Oreo’s, Nilla Wafers, Grasshoppers- anything you can pulse into dust in a food processor will make amazing cookie brownies! You can even use crushed candy like Rolos, Snickers or Butterfinger.
You may be wondering what is chocolate ganache? Well chocolate ganache, pronounced “gan-arsh” is a tasty combination of chocolate and double cream, which is quite easy to make. It can be used as frosting, fillings and even in chocolate truffles. Talk about rich.
If you liked this Fudgy Brownie Bars recipe, be sure to check out these other easy chocolate dessert recipes:
- Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzels
- Chocolate Bacon Saltine Toffee
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 10 ounces favorite cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together sugar and butter until light, fluffy and pale.
- Add eggs, vanilla and water, blending until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Gradually add to wet mixture.
- Fold in 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips by hand.
- Transfer to baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test. Remove and allow to cool fully.
- Place cookies into a food processor and pulse into crumbs.* In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a medium mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, blend together cream cheese and cookie crumbs. Spread in an even layer over cooled brownies.
- In the microwave or a double boiler, combine chocolate chips and heavy cream, stirring continuously. As soon as it reaches a spreadable consistency, pour over cream cheese layer. Spread out evenly and place into the refrigerator for 20 minutes to set.
- Run a sharp knife under hot water to slice. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
- If you do not have a food processor, put cookies in an airtight plastic bag and smash with a rolling pin. The crumbs won't be as uniform or small, but it will do the trick.