Red Lentil Soup is a savory soup filled with aromatic spices and a beautiful color. This soup will ‘wow’ your family and friends by how delicious it tastes!
Red Lentil Soup is the best comfort food for a cold or rainy day. Packed full of vegetables and spices, this easy soup recipe is hearty enough for a meal.
This recipe is one of my favorites, I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. Hot soup combined with cool tzatziki and tangy lemon juice is a multi note dish your guests will rave about. It also conveniently hides veggies and legumes from those who typically do not eat these items.
Lentil soup recipes can be made in a multitude of different ways and with a plethora of different ingredients. Anything from ham to sausage, or even just with spinach.
However this recipe works great with celery, onion, tomatoes carrots, garlic and of course your red lentils, pureed into one hearty, smooth and scrumptious soup!
There are many ways to cook lentil soup. You can use a slow cooker, a large pot, or a dutch oven. I prefer to cook my red lentil soup in a dutch oven. Dutch ovens help to keep a consistent temperature throughout the entire contents of the pot.
The lid which has a tight fit, will keep any moisture and flavor contained within the dutch oven. They are great for making soups, stews and chilis along with browning meat, just to name a few uses! A true kitchen staple.
Here is a brief description on how to make lentil soup, start out by melting the butter over medium heat, then add your onion, carrots, celery, garlic and tomatoes, this step should take about 10 minutes, with the goal to soften the ingredients and making sure to stir occasionally.
Next add your spices and cook until fragrant. Throw in the lentils and vegetable stock and cook for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft, puree and you are ready to serve!
If you enjoyed this middle eastern lentil soup recipe, check out these other easy soup recipes:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion , chopped
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 3 celery ribs , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 plum tomatoes , stems removed cut into qaurters
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 lemons , wedged
- 1 cup tzatziki*
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic and tomatoes. Saute over medium heat, stirring as necessary until ingredients soften, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander and chile powder, cook until fragrant, 3 minutes.
- Add lentils and vegetable stock. Simmer over moderately low heat until the lentils are very soft, approximately 30 minutes. Stir 2-3 times to prevent lentils from sticking together.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture directly in the Dutch oven. Season with fine sea salt.
- Serve in a small soup bowl with a dollop of cold tzatziki in the center and fresh lemon wedges. Squeeze lemon juice onto soup right before eating.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us now how it was!
*If you don't have tzatziki, use plain Greek yogurt.