This easy bruschetta recipe will bring the taste of Italy straight to your home for you and your guests! Give this delicious Crab Bruschetta appetizer a try today!
Crab Bruschetta is a mound of fresh tomatoes, garlic basil and buttery crab meat piled high on crispy toast. This is one of the best appetizers out there!
I love to serve Crab Bruschetta when I have guests over, but what is bruschetta? Bruschetta is a dish that originates in Italy. It’s made up of toasted garlic bread rubbed with garlic and topped with olive oil and salt.
There are multiple different versions of bruschetta out there. Bruschetta toppings seem to typically consist of tomatoes, cured meats, cheese, vegetables and beans!
I decided to do a little research and find out a little background history on bruschetta and where it’s derived from. There’s no surprise to know that bruschetta originates from Italy all the way back in the 16th century, however there is evidence of traces of bruschetta all the way back in Ancient Rome times.
The classic farmers recipe from the Etruscan age is made from a slice of bread that is brushed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil. The one we’re used to and the most commonly found is made from tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil, and garlic.
There is an old Italian saying pertaining to bruschetta that says, “Day-one bread, month-old oil, and year-old oil”. Simply put, any kind of Italian food is better when accompanied by a glass of wine!
Bruschetta is such a perfect and classic dish, but here in Baltimore, we like to add CRAB! Usually served as an appetizer, I’ve been known to eat it as my main meal as long as I add a protein, sometimes shrimp, but most of the time it is crab.
Buttery crab meat is light, doesn’t overpower the natural flavors of the vegetables and kicks up of the “elegance level” a few notches.
You can also add shredded mozzarella cheese and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes to serve hot and melty. Top on a larger piece of toasted bread and serve with a spring salad and Balsamic Vinaigrette for a light dinner.
If you enjoyed this easy bruschetta recipe, make sure you check out these other ideas:
- One-Pot Chicken Bruschetta Pasta
- Tomato Bruschetta
- Bacon, Pear and Fig Panini
- Italian Chicken Panini
If you are looking for even more fabulous appetizers, snag a copy of my Easy Appetizers Beyond Dips Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, one of these fun and festive appetizers sure to be the hit of any gathering!
- 2 pints grape tomatoes , red, yellow or mixed and quartered
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 16 basil leaves , roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper finely ground
- 1 cup lump blue crab meat
- 24 garlic toasts * (crostini)
- Combine tomatoes through black pepper in a medium mixing bowl, tossing well.
- Add crab meat and toss lightly to prevent breaking crab meat apart.
- Evenly divide to top all 24 garlic toasts. Enjoy your Crab Bruschetta!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!