Switch up your side dish game by serving this honey carrot recipe! Carrots, honey, brie, and some spices charred to perfection makes up this Cooked Carrots With Honey Brie Sauce recipe. Your whole family will be asking for seconds!
Cooked Carrots with Honey Brie Sauce are charred to a soft texture then tossed in cheese and honey. You’ll never look at burned food the same way again!
A few months ago I was delighted to attend a Culinary Getaway at the Ritz Carlton Dorado Beach. Hosted by the great Jose Andres, he also brought along a few of his notable (putting it mild) foodie friends. You know… Anthony Bourdain, Eric Ripert and Tim Love. Just a few of the guys.
Among the many fantastic activities included cooking demos and Burnt Carrots from Tim Love, one of the most popular dishes at Lonesome Dove in Texas.
A well-known name in Texas, Love is breaking onto the national food scene at an alarming rate. He brings a rejuvenated, old-school cowboy technique to the table: the art of burning food.
And when he says burn, he literally means throwing it in the fire for some char. As in, his first step when grilling is to remove the grates and throw them away.
Initially it looked like his career might be as a professional soccer player, but after playing in European leagues, came back to the States for higher education.
Since he has decided he only wants to do “fun stuff” which in includes cross country trail rides, tending to his garden and cooking in his outdoor kitchen just outside of Fort Worth.
Lonesome Dove, his mainstay restaurant has three location and he has also opened up 4 other restaurant concepts and an online boutique.
Tim Love graciously shared his amazingly simple recipe for Cooked Carrots with Honey Brie Sauce with the crowd. Here are a couple of points you should know:
- Cast iron is the best choice of cookware for its even heating and nonstick properties. Although you can also make this recipe under the broiler.
- Peanut oil has a high smoke point and there is therefore perfect for burning carrots without actually burning the carrots.
- Either brie or goat cheese can be used for the choose portion.
- Some enjoy adding a sprinkle of spicy crushed red pepper to the mix.
- Most people will initially think you are crazy when you try to serve them burnt carrots. They will get over it and come to see your ways.
Check out these easy side dish recipes:
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Cooked Carrots with Honey Brie Sauce
- Heat 1/2 inch of peanut oil over high heat in a large cast iron skillet. Heat until smoking, then carefully add carrots using tongs. Allow to cook until nicely charred, then turn to char on all other sides. The process will take approximately 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Immediately, while carrots are still piping hot, toss with goat cheese or brie, honey, lemon, kosher salt and red pepper flakes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the carrots to a platter, leaving any liquid behind. Serve immediately.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!