Broccoli Cheddar Bites are your new favorite snack… you just don’t know it yet.
Broccoli Cheddar Bites are pizza dough stuffed with gooey cheddar cheese, broccoli and topped with a garlic butter sauce.
We are all looking for satisfying and tasty after school snacks, right? Or anytime snacks? Cause snacking might be one of my favorite things to do.
I’d honestly rather snack than eat a whole meal. Shhh… don’t tell anyone.
After school snacks shouldn’t be underestimated or skipped. A full day of learning depletes energy and a little pick-me-up is exactly what kids need before they dive into homework, family time and play. Put more gas in the tank!
For my Broccoli Cheddar Bites, I use a sharp cheddar cheese, but you can also use Mozzarella or Pepperjack. Really any flavor of cheese you’d like, but I would recommend a low moisture cheese so there isn’t too much liquid sogging up your bread.
The key to making this perfect after school snack is cooking the broccoli. Too much moisture can result in mushy bites and no one wants that. Y
ou need firm broccoli, so the best way to prepare is by blanching and using fresh, not frozen. See recipes notes for instructions.
You’ll also want to use florets for this type of recipe, but don’t discard the stems. It if you are like me, you’ll munch on them while you prepare your Broccoli Cheddar Bites, but you can also dice them up for a salad or toss them in with other sautéed veggies.
Broccoli Cheddar Bites can also be made ahead of time. Make ahead snacks are the best type of after school snack, don’t you agree?
Either make your bread balls and place them in fridge, covered, until you are ready to bake, or bake them up and reheat in the oven. I don’t recommend reheating in the microwave, as the dough gets tough and rubbery.
PRO TIP: For a sweeter garlic flavor, use jarred minced garlic. For a zesty garlic flavor, use pressed fresh garlic.
While these are so delicious and cheesy on their own, especially with garlic butter sauce, I am a big fan of dipping sauces. Just call me saucy! Ha!
You might also like these recipes:
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Broccoli Cheddar Bites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Break pizza dough into 16 1-inch balls. Flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Equally divide cheddar cheese and broccoli florets in each piece of bread dough. Wrap into a little ball.
- Place seam side down on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Combine melted butter with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- When your Broccoli Cheddar Bites come out of the oven, baste with butter mixture.
- Serve immediately and with your choice of dipping sauce.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, please come back to let us know how it was!