Making homemade syrup is like a big warm hug. Homemade Apple Cider Syrup is one that you’re going to love all year long. An apple a day, right?
Apple Cider Syrup Recipe
Unlike pumpkins where you have to wait for them fresh from the vines in autumn, apples are special. Apples can be purchased throughout the year even though they’re picked in the fall too.
Apples are one of the only foods to hold so well like this. This is also the reason why we can get crisp apples in the off season.
Fun fact: The apples currently in the stores that you are buying right now were picked from last year’s season. Apples are stored in a barn-like building with all of the air sucked out. This keeps them fresh for an entire year!
With apples being such a healthy, delicious and versatile fruit, there’s not much that you can’t do with them.
Why You’ll Love This Apple Cider Syrup
An easy syrup that is full of fall flavor and loved by all- what’s not to love!
- Fall staple – We don’t let a single fall pass us by without making this delicious syrup, and I know your family will love it too.
- Perfect for breakfast and dessert – not only does this syrup tastes great on pancakes, a favorite use is actually to put it on desserts too.
- Great for gifting – Instead of making a small batch, make a large batch and put it in little jars for gifting during the holiday season!
You can easily find all of these simple ingredients at your local grocery store all year round!
- Apple cider – If you’ve gone apple picking, feel free to make your own fresh apple cider. If not, you can easily find it at the grocery store all fall long.
- Brown sugar – Although cider already has sugar, adding brown sugar helps to sweeten it even more, while also adding a rich flavor.
- Corn starch – While we don’t want this to be a thick syrup, we do want it to be thicker than apple cider. Corn starch helps us achieve that.
- Apple pie spice – This is a spice mixture that is made up of ground cinnamon, ground allspice, ground ginger and ground cloves. You can buy it at the store or make your own homemade apple pie spice at home!
- Pinch of salt – A pinch of salt really helps to bring out the flavors of this apple syrup. If using salted butter, you can omit this.
- Butter – Butter is a key ingredient to this delicious apple cider syrup. It adds both flavor and a velvety texture.
- Apple cider vinegar – To balance out a little bit of the sweet, we add apple cider vinegar to take this spiced apple cider syrup to the next level. You could also use lemon juice.
Availability of Ingredients
Turning apple cider into a homemade apple cider syrup is just one more reason to visit the orchards or go shopping. As I said, apples are available everywhere and all year long. Fix those apple cravings no matter the weather or month!
Despite the availability of apple products, not many people buy apple cider in the spring or early summer. It’s often seen as a seasonal drink. Cider can even be hard to find in-stores during the off season but should be in stock even if unadvertised.
I think I always have something apple related in my shopping carts no matter the time of year. Whether it’s a fresh bag of apples, bottled apple juice or cider, or an apple flavored product.
There are so many apple recipes out there to try, it can never possibly get boring! Some of my favorites are:
How to Make Apple Cider Syrup
This flavorful syrup recipe is really as easy as one, two three!
- Mix dry ingredients. In a small bowl, combine corn starch, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, salt and brown sugar. Mix dry ingredients together.
- Heat wet ingredients. In a saucepan over medium heat add apple cider, apple cider vinegar, and butter.
- Add dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to saucepan and stir.
- Boil. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir gently.
- Allow to cool. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature.
How to Serve Apple Cider Syrup
If truth be told, this recipe is fabulous over pancakes, but it’s also delicious over this Instant Pot Breakfast French Toast too! It’s also a fun evening treat when you dip cold crisp apples into it. Oh it’s good!
Here are some of my breakfast favorites to serve this apple cider syrup with:
Compared to a lot of other syrup recipes out there this one is pretty healthy. As long as the cider you use is 100% juice. If you avoid the cider flavored sugar water then this syrup is a great healthy option.
Some syrups are made using corn syrup and added preservatives. Comparing this syrup to those definitely gives it some brownie points!
Storage and Freezing
Storage: Homemade syrups can last a month if properly stored in the fridge. However, I recommend not keeping them for longer than a month just out of precaution. One month should be plenty of time to use it all up in various meals though!
Freezing: You can also freeze your apple cider syrup. Place it in an airtight container and stick in the freezer until you’re ready to use it. Due to the sugar content, it may not freeze solid. But, it can keep frozen for up to a year.
Thawing: Simply thaw it in a bowl of warm water and use. You can also heat it in the microwave or on the stove top if you want that fresh homemade syrup taste.
Reheating Apple Cider Syrup
To reheat your syrup you have 2 good options- the microwave and the stove top.
For the microwave method, you’ll want to pour how much you need into a microwave safe bowl. Warm it for about 30 seconds and stir. It shouldn’t take long to heat up. Use as desired.
For the stove top method pour the amount desired into a small saucepan on the stove. Heat over medium heat until simmering and then use.
More Homemade Syrup Recipes
Apple Cider Syrup Recipe
- In a small bowl, combine corn starch, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, salt and brown sugar. Mix dry ingredients together.
- In a saucepan over medium heat add apple Cider, apple cider vinegar, and butter.
- Add dry ingredients to saucepan and stir.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know in the comments or ratings!