Looking for a fruity dessert, breakfast or brunch recipe? Easy Apple Cream Cheese Strudel is right up your alley!
Pastry isn’t as challenging as you might think! My Easy Apple Cream Cheese Strudel uses only 6 ingredients and 10 minutes to prepare for a fancy-pants breakfast or dessert!
Puff pastry is one of those ingredients that is so simple to make at home, but SO much easier to buy at the store. I keep a few sheets in the freezer at all times knowing that I can always pull out a sheet and make an impressive dish for any time of day, like my Citrus Sausage Tartlets, Beef Wellington or Blackberry Brie Pinwheels!
Easy Apple Cream Cheese Strudel was hot, hot, hot in my house and was G-O-N-E. Apple pie filling is already blended with spices, but feel free to liven even further with cinnamon and/or nutmeg, cream cheese adds sophistication to buttery layers of puff pastry.
Turbinado sugar and sliced almonds add interest to the texture and flavor profile. Sweet, buttery and slightly crunchy. Delicious!
The trick here is to use premade puff pastry. I prefer to use an all-butter puff pastry as opposed to vegetable oil pastry. Some folks can tell the difference, some can’t, just check the box if you are at all concerned.
Next, fold, slather, fill and bake! Easy Apple Cream Cheese Strudel is literally that easy!
If you like this easy pastry recipe, check these sweet breakfast recipes out:
- 1 sheet puff pastry defrosted
- 2 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoons almonds thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unroll puff pastry on a clean work space. Make 4-5 diagonal cuts down each side at the same intervals. See photo.
- Brush with melted butter. Spread cream cheese down the center, topped with apple pie filling.
- Fold over the bottom piece, then alternating sides, braid strips of puff pastry over filling. At the end, fold over the end piece before the last two diagonal cuts.
- Brush top with melted butter and transfer to baking sheet. Top with sliced almonds and turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until puff pastry is fluffy and lightly browned. Remove and serve hot or at room temperature.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!