Aren’t fusions a glorious thing? While egg rolls are typically associated with savory foods, they can also make glorious dipping desserts, like my fried cheesecake egg rolls and these holiday-inspired apple pie egg rolls.
This dessert-style egg roll has a sweet apple filling with creamy brie all encased in crispy egg roll wrappers with a cinnamon sugar coating. And despite how decadent they sound this is an incredibly easy recipe to make.
While apple pie often feels like a fall dessert, you can fry these up any time of year, especially since the recipe calls for canned apple filling (or homemade). It’s the kind of apple dessert that is sure to impress guests no matter when you make it!
Why You’ll Love Apple Pie Egg Rolls
Lovers of apple pie are sure to become fans of this apple dessert
- Twist on Tradition – Instead of serving a standard apple pie, offer guests this handheld version of the classic. They’re like mini apple pies!
- Easy to Customize – You can change almost anything about these easy apple pie egg rolls from the filling to the cheese or spices.
- Great for Parties – Since they’re handheld, they’re a portable dessert that guests can grab while mingling.
The list of simple ingredients that you need for these decadent egg rolls isn’t too long, and you probably have a few of the ingredients at home already.
Apple Egg Rolls:
- Canned Apple Filling – This recipe calls for canned apple pie filling but you can also make your own apple pie filling if you prefer.
- Egg Whites – Egg whites mixed with a bit of water will help the wonton edges adhere to each other.
- Egg Roll Wrappers – You can typically find these in a refrigerated section of the grocery store, sometimes near the produce section.
- Triple Cream Brie – Be sure to remove the rind of the brie before placing spoonfuls into the wonton.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar will sweeten the outside of the wonton but it also gives it a slightly crunchy texture, too.
- Apple Pie Spice – If you already have apple pie spice, that’s perfect. But if not, you can make an apple pie spice blend.
- Oil – Use a neutrally flavored oil like vegetable oil, coconut oil, or canola oil.
- Caramel Sauce (For Dipping) – Use the sauce for dipping the egg rolls or top them with it. Or make our bourbon caramel sauce.
- Vanilla Ice Cream (For Serving) – You can serve the sweet egg rolls alongside ice cream.
How to Make Apple Pie Egg Rolls
One of the most important steps in this recipe is to be sure that you freeze the egg rolls so that they fry up just right.
Apple Pie Egg Rolls:
- Dice apples. Pour the apple pie filling into a large bowl or onto a plate and use a sharp knife to dice the apples into small pieces.
- Whisk egg whites. Add the egg whites to a small bowl along with a little water and whisk together.
- Brush egg whites onto wrappers. After placing one of the wrappers on a flat, clean work surface use a pastry brush to apply the egg white mixture to the edges of the wrapper.
- Add brie and pie filling. Then, spoon the brie onto the center of the wrapper and top with apple pie filling.
- Roll. To assemble, take one corner of the wrapper and fold it over top of the apple pie filling. Then, fold in the two sides and roll.
- Freeze. Place the filled wrapper in a freezer-safe container. Freeze the rolls.
- Mix apple pie spice and sugar. Before frying, mix together the apple pie spice and sugar in a bowl.
- Heat oil. Then, preheat the oil in a large skillet or a Dutch oven, checking the temperature with a deep frying thermometer.
- Add egg rolls. Carefully add several egg rolls to the hot oil and fry, turning halfway through cooking.
- Drain excess oil. Once the egg rolls are golden brown, remove them and place them on a wire rack that’s been placed over a baking sheet to catch any excess oil.
- Coat in spice and sugar mixture. While still warm, coat the egg rolls with the apple pie spice and sugar mixture, then place on a plate while continuing to cook the rest of the egg rolls.
What to Serve with Apple Pie Egg Rolls
You can drizzle these apple pie egg rolls with caramel sauce or fudge sauce — or you can serve either on the side for dipping. They’re also delicious with a scoop of ice cream — try them paired with vanilla ice cream or maple ice cream with pecans. Maple cream and Dutch honey are also tasty.
Switch up some ingredients to put your own creative spin on this fun dessert.
- Cheese – If you prefer to leave the cheese out you can easily omit it. You can also replace it with cream cheese or any soft and melty variety of cheese that you like.
- Sugar – Instead of using the cinnamon and sugar mix, try sifting powdered sugar over top.
- Fruit Filling – Trade out the apple pie filling for another type of fruity filling.
- Sauces – Instead of using caramel choose your own favorite sauce to pair with apple desserts.
- Ice Cream – Use a different flavored ice cream or swap it out for a slightly sweetened Greek yogurt dip.
- Citrus – To brighten the flavor of the apple filling add a little bit of lemon juice.
Storage and Freezing
These apple pie egg rolls are easy to store — that is, if you’re lucky enough to have any leftovers!
Make Ahead: You can assemble the egg rolls and refrigerate them overnight or freeze them for up to 20 weeks in a freezer-safe container.
Refrigerator: Store leftover egg rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Place fried egg rolls in a single layer in an airtight container, separated by parchment paper for up to 3 months. You can also wrap them individually with parchment paper and store them in a resealable freezer bag.
Common Questions About Apple Pie Egg Rolls
Apple pie egg rolls can fall apart when you are frying because they did not entirely seal. Be sure use enough egg wash on the edges and place them in the container seam-side down before freezing.
Also, freeze the egg rolls for at least an hour before frying them. This will also help them to stay together.
Store-bought wonton wrappers are the best to use for this recipe. They get perfectly crispy and flaky while keeping the filling contained.
You could also experiment with using pre-made pie crust cut to the dimensions of a wonton, though they will have a different texture, more like a hand pie.
Yes, you can make air fryer apple pie egg rolls. Just freeze them for the recommended amount of time and place them seam-side down in the air fryer basket.
Also, be sure to spray egg rolls with non-stick cooking spray before placing them in the air fryer.
Other Sweet Apple Recipes
Apple Pie Egg Roll Recipe
Apple Egg Rolls:
- 21 ounces canned apple pie filling
- 2 egg whites
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 8 ounces triple cream brie , casing removed
Apple Pie Egg Rolls:
- Open the canned apple pie filling and coarsely chop the apple slices so into at least quarters so they fit into the wrappers more evenly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites with 1 tablespoons of water.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean work surface and baste the edges with the egg white mixture.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of brie in the center of the egg roll wrapper. Spoon in 1/3 cup of the apple pie filling.
- Fold one corner of the egg roll wrapper over the apple pie filling, Fold in the other two corners on either side (like an envelope) and then continue to roll. Roll should be fairly tight, but with a little room for expansion.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers. If the wrapper does not stick, add more egg wash to secure.
- Place egg rolls in a container separated by parchment paper or wax paper. Freeze for a minimum of 1 hour or up 20 weeks. Since they are not tightly wrapped, they are more prone to developing freezer burn. See instructions for freezing for longer periods of time.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and apple pie spice. Set aside.
- When ready to fry, fill a large Dutch oven or heavy bottom saucepan with about 2-3 inches of neutral oil. Heat to between 325°F and 345°F using a deep frying thermometer.
- When oil is hot, gently lower 2-3 egg rolls (depending on the size of the pot) into the hot oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes, turning once, or until just golden brown.
- Remove to a rimmed baking sheet with a wire rack suspended over it to drain. After 1 minute of draining, toss in the sugar and apple pie spice mixture. And set on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- For serving, drizzle with caramel sauce and serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.