If you’ve been wondering how to make waffles, this recipe will show you how to make delicious homemade waffles in just about 10 minutes! You will absolutely love these homemade waffles!
What's In This Article
Homemade Waffles is a classic recipe that has an additional 13 ideas for fun variations. The perfect Sunday breakfast.
Oh waffles, my friend. There is nothing quite like a classic waffle recipe. Unless you take that classic waffle recipe and amp it up with 13 waffle variations! I’m also including a little waffle factoids to discuss over the breakfast table. Waffle on!
First off, what is the difference between pancake and waffle batter? Most notably, some sort of fat, usually melted butter or oil. Secondly, egg whites are whipped to a froth prior to being incorporated into the batter, resulting in a soft, fluffy texture with a crispy exterior.
How about Belgian waffles versus regular waffles? Belgians are very obviously thicker with a larger grid. A traditional Belgian waffle batter also uses yeast, which makes them light and fluffy. Belgian waffles are not just for breakfast, making them very versatile.
Now days most folks use a traditional waffle batter with whipped eggs to get the same crunchy texture as yeast would give. Regular waffles are made in a smaller waffle iron, and turn out with smaller grooves, so less syrup and butter!
If you want a even quicker recipe just buy pre made waffle mix from the store, but my recipe only takes 5 minutes to make. It will save you a trip to the store and money as you will already have all the ingredients at home! They taste so much better and have no additives so I would recommend to make your own!
Waffles always taste better fresh, but if you do have leftovers, freeze them in an airtight plastic bag and when you are ready to make them, pop them in the toaster to warm them up. Nice, crispy waffles!
A homemade waffle recipe leaves room for endless variations, make sure you scroll down to check them all out!
Check out these other easy breakfast recipes:
- Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Bread
- The BEST Breakfast Sandwich
- Stuffed Breakfast Potatoes
- Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole
Now that you’ve mastered the classic recipe, try a few waffle variations!
- Pumpkin Spice Waffles: Substitute brown sugar for regular sugar. Add 3/4 cups pumpkin puree, 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice and an additional 1/4 cup flour. Serve with maple syrup and whipped cream.
- Power Waffles: Add 3/4 cups peanut butter and an additional 1/4 cup flour. Top with sliced bananas and honey.
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Waffles: Add 3/4 cups peanut butter, an additional 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Flavor Variations: Substitute vanilla with any other desired extract or flavoring such as lemon, orange, almond, banana, coconut, almond, peppermint, maple, strawberry, raspberry or coffee.
- Lemon and Blueberry Waffles: Substitute vanilla for lemon extract, add the zest of one lemon. Top with fresh blueberries and Blueberry Dutch Honey.
- Fresh Fruit Waffles: Toss chopped fruit or whole berries into basic waffle batter. Top with additional fresh fruit and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Waffles: Substitute vanilla for lemon extract, add the zest of one lemon and 1 tablespoon poppy seeds.
- Nutella Waffles: Add 1/2 cup Nutella and 1/4 cup flour.
- Bacon Waffles: Fold in 1/2 cup crumbled bacon to batter. This is great for a breakfast sandwich, like egg, ham and cheese.
- Chipotle Chicken ‘n Waffle Sliders: Cut 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 2 inch pieces. Toss with 1/2 cup flour seasoned with fine sea salt and pepper. Fry in light extra virgin olive oil. Dip in Chipotle Honey BBQ Sauce and sandwich between two quarters of a waffle.
- Waffle Prosciutto di Parma– Using two basic waffles, stuff with prosciutto, fresh mozzarella cheese, basil and/or arugula and ripe tomato slices. You can also press this in your panini press.
- Crab Cake Melt Waffle: Top a basic waffle with a jumbo lump crab cake, top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, place under a preheated broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese.
- Nutty Waffles: Fold 1/2 cup chopped nuts into classic batter.
- Oreo Waffles: Developed by my nephew, Alex, add 1 cup smashed Oreos to the batter.
- Fluffy Blueberry Waffles- There is nothing quite like a fluffy stack of blueberry waffles!
Homemade Waffle Recipe
- 2 eggs whites and yolks divided
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk preferably whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until they are foamed and frothy. Whip in yolks and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Lastly, blend in eggs.
- Heat waffle iron and lightly coat with cooking spray. Ladle in waffle batter.
- Cooking times will vary greatly depending on your waffle iron, approximately 2 1/2 -5 minutes. Cook until waffles are lightly browned and crispy.
- Remove and enjoy your fresh waffles!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
I am DYING to get a waffle maker (iron?)! We all love waffles. We all love any kind of fruit on them but I’d like to try the pumpkin spices and I know hubby would like that one too.
What a tasty collection of waffle recipes. I love the protein and pumpkin varieties. I’ll have to try them soon! I love whole wheat waffles with fruit.
I love all of these awesome variations on waffles! The bacon is probably one of my favorites.
Wow! I thought this was going to be like chocolate chips, berries, but you really have some great ideas here. Crab cake? Really? This I will have to try!
I love them with cinnamon and apples! I also love them with blueberries. Truthfully, I could eat them plain even without syrup though.
Homemade Waffles are the best. I don’t think there is anything better in the morning.
my kids would love many of these ideas. I’ll have to give them a try this weekend
I love, love, love waffles! I would totally dig the Nutella Waffles!
Now that is a list of yum! Nutella Waffles will be up fist for me that’s for sure! 😀
My favorite breakfast food are waffles. I miss living at home before a husband and kids. My mom would make me the best homemade waffles.
My kids love waffles. This is great! They’d really love this!
I love waffles. My mom didn’t really make them growing up so they were always a special treat when she did or when we went out for breakfast. I love a simple buttermilk waffle with maple syrup and some sausage.
We just got a waffle maker so these recipes are awesome! Will be trying them out.
We are huge waffle fans! And these variations look great!
we are a waffle family so this is perfect. We LOVE Nutella waffles. Yummo
Waffles FTW! You can put anything on a waffle and it WILL be delicious.
Thanks for all of the variations. Crab cake is definitely a new taste for me!
Yum! I love homemade waffles. I’ll have to try that peanut butter and chocolate version!
I’ve never made homemade waffles. I’ve made waffles at home but I always use a box mix. I’m definitely saying goodbye to the box and making it from scratch from now on!
I have been meaning to try lemon and blueberry waffles the last few weekends! I made lemon and blueberry pancakes and was hooked!