This is the best stuffed chicken breast recipe that you will come across, it tastes delicious and is full of flavor! You can have it ready and on the table in only an hour!
This award winning Stuffed Chicken with Apple Gravy uses pine nuts, spinach, currants and garlic with a savory apple gravy to finish off this easy dinner recipe!
Stuffed Chicken with Apple Gravy is an award winning dish worthy of a fancy restaurant or special occasion, but ready in just one hour! Tenderized chicken breast is filled with a garlicky spinach and pine nuts mix, made slightly sweet with dried currants. Top it off with an apple gravy and you are in dinner heaven!
Many times people stuff chicken with only veggies and a lot of cheese, maybe even some meats like my Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken, but very rarely do they stuff it with fruit!
I’m actually a huge fan of fruit with protein, my Dried Fruit Pork Chops are one of my top easy, quick and healthy recipes and I love anything meat with a slice of grilled pineapple.
But there are a few that are underused, like currants. We see them in jams and jellies, but why not in savory dishes?
I had some currents leftover from my Kale, Radicchio and Currant Salad, a bitter greens salad that needed a sweeter complement to make it well rounded.
While I love eating dried currants as a snack, I wanted to find another way to use them. What better way than with another tried and true fruit, the apple!
This recipe for Stuffed Chicken with Apple Gravy went on to win a handful of awards, including one from Gourmandize for “The Best Apple Recipe”. I make it a few times a year and each time ask myself why I don’t make it more often. I hope you enjoy the recipe.
Tools for making Stuffed Chicken with Apple Gravy:
Heavy Bottom Frying Pan– this will be one of your most used kitchen tools. Having something that is heavy bottom will distribute heat better and prevent burning whether you are using an electric or gas range.
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Good knife – Global is my favorite! They are worth the price, I promise. I am kind of obsessed with them and store them tucked away so no one else can use them. Including hubby. Hands off my good stuff!
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Stuffed Chicken with Apple Gravy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a medium baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper. Using a meat mallet, tenderize until chicken breast is approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, chopped spinach, garlic and currants. Toss well.
- Place one chicken breast onto a cutting board or other clean work surface. Divide spinach mixture evenly among chicken breasts. Roll up lengthwise, folding in edges, and place seam side down into a casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Season chicken to taste with fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until juices run clean.
- While stuffed chicken cooks, prepare the apple gravy. In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, apple juice cornstarch, thyme and apples. Bring to a low simmer. Continue apple gravy over low heat until stuffed chicken is complete. Before serving, add butter.
- Slice stuffed chicken and smother with sweet apple gravy.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!