Do you and your family love stuffed peppers? These buffalo chicken stuffed peppers come together easily with pre-cooked shredded chicken, cream cheese, and your favorite wing sauce. Easy to make with minimal prep making it perfect for a weeknight dinner idea!
I love an easy dinner recipe, but it can’t be lacking on flavor. These stuffed peppers hit both marks- super easy to make and full of bold flavor. It’s sure to be a favorite for the whole family that you’ll make over and over again.
Why You’ll Love These Stuffed Peppers
There are plenty of reasons why this is a loved recipe, but here are a few specifics.
- Nostalgic – Reminiscent of your favorite game day dip, this recipe takes that flavor and turns it into an entire meal.
- Easy to make – With only 15 minutes of prep time, you can have these buffalo chicken stuffed peppers on the table in under an hour.
- Simple ingredients – All of these ingredients are easily found at your local grocery store if you don’t already have them on hand.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Pepper Ingredients
Here’s a quick-reference check list of the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Fresh Bell Peppers – green, red, yellow, and orange bell peppers are great for this recipe. You’ll need to slice in half and remove the interior seeds and pulp.
- Pre-cooked shredded chicken – feel free to purchase shredded chicken to save yourself some time. You can also oven roast, air fry or slow cook chicken breasts to save on cost.
- Cream cheese – this provides a fantastic creamy consistency to the filling, mimicking the flavor and texture of buffalo chicken dip.
- Freshly shredded cheddar cheese – freshly shredded cheese is ideal for this recipe. It will be included in both the filling and melt on top of the peppers.
- Freshly shredded mozzarella cheese – like cheddar, mozzarella will provide some wonderful creaminess to the filling. Freshly shredding mozzarella is ideal for this recipe.
- Wing sauce – we used Frank’s Red-Hot Sauce; however, you can use your preferred wing sauce depending on how hot or mild you enjoy. This sauce can also be added to the top of the peppers just before serving.
- Ranch seasoning mix – this dry seasoning mix is found near the bottled dressings in the grocery store.
- Blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles – optional, this cheese is fantastic as a topping for these stuffed peppers.
- Green onions – a great topping adding some color and flavor to every bite.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Besides being absolutely delicious, you’ll love just how easy these stuffed peppers are to make.
- Lightly spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cut the bell peppers in half, removing the interior seeds and pulp. Place the pepper halves in the prepared pan and set aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add the cooked, shredded chicken, cream cheese, freshly shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, hot sauce and ranch mix. Stir together well with a rubber scraper. The filling will have a thick, creamy consistency.
- Using a spoon, divide the buffalo chicken filling evenly between the bell peppers, filling each nearly full. To the pan, add the water and then tightly cover with foil.
- Bake the stuffed peppers. Then, sprinkle the reserved shredded cheddar cheese evenly over the tops of the peppers. Continue to bake until the cheese topping is completely melted.
- Top the stuffed peppers with blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles, sliced green onions, ranch or blue cheese dressing and additional hot sauce before serving.
How to Serve Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
These stuffed peppers are great served with a fresh, crisp side salad, seasoned rice or your favorite sauteed vegetables.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: For best results, store the leftover peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Reheating: To reheat, microwave for 1-2 minutes until the filling is completely heated through. You can also reheat in your toaster oven at 375 degrees for 3-4 minutes, or until the filling is hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Stuffed pepper filling can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Mix the chicken, cream cheese, hot sauce, cheeses, and ranch seasoning. Transfer to a resealable container and refrigerate until ready to stuff the peppers.
This buffalo chicken recipe will need approximately 40 minutes to bake at 350 degrees.
When refrigerated in an airtight container, the stuffed peppers will last up to 4 days.
More Stuffed Pepper Recipes
- Healthy Unstuffed Peppers
- Classic Stuffed Peppers
- Healthy Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers , cut lengthwise with internal pulp and seeds removed
- 16 oz. pre-cooked , shredded chicken
- 8 oz. package , cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , freshly shredded, divided
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese , freshly shredded
- 1/3 cup wing sauce
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons green onions , sliced, for topping
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese or goat cheese crumbles , for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a casserole dish or 9 x 13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place the prepared bell pepper halves into the pan. Set aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken, cream cheese, ½ cup cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, wing sauce and ranch seasoning. Mix well with a rubber scraper. The mixture will be thick and creamy.
- Divide the mixture evenly into each bell pepper, filling to the edges.
- Add the water to the bottom of the baking dish. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top the stuffed peppers with the reserved cheddar cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes, uncovered, or until the cheese is completely melted and light golden brown.
- Let the peppers cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with the green onions and cheese crumbles just before serving.
These stuffed peppers are also great served with a drizzle of ranch or blue cheese dressing.