There is nothing quite as wholesome and soul warming as a fresh dish of baked macaroni and cheese. Straight out of the oven, I’m inclined to reach in a pick off the crunchy little edges. The only thing that makes it better is when it is Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese!
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a quick and spicy baked mac and cheese recipe the whole family will love. Perfect as a potluck recipe or for a BBQ side dish!
This post is sponsored by Southern Kitchen. All opinions are my own.
I’ll tell you all about this buffalo chicken mac and cheese, but before I do, can we talk a little about my new favorite cookware website?
Beautiful tools make tasty food that much better and the process of cooking that much more fun. At Southern Kitchen they sell gorgeous vessels that are practical and pretty. The best of both worlds.
Check out these hand painted stoneware measuring cups. I actually leave them on my countertop as accent pieces. Spouts make them handy for liquid and dry measuring. Colorful designs guarantee to put a smile on your face while in use.
And who can’t use a cherry red Staub baking dish? An essential kitchen item, there is no need to buy a drab one. You know what they say, if your casserole dish pops, your recipe will too! Okay, so I don’t know anyone who says that, maybe just me ☺
For a while now I’ve been obsessed with this chicken roaster. I visit it on the regular at Bryan Voltaggio’s Family Table and now I can have one of my very own!
Here a couple more pieces I am craving right now:
Southern Kitchen offers more than just stylish kitchenware, they also host a weekly Sunday Supper Podcast that you can also catch on Facebook Live Friday afternoons.
Topics are informational with Southern pizazz like The Biscuit Commandments and The Women of Cast Iron Chronicles.
Before you get cooking, here are few notes about this fabulous Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe. Prepare to be WOWED. Then prepare to be slightly obsessed. My family loves this stuff and it is requested at every party I attend.
Click the link for my classic buffalo sauce, but feel free to use a mild version, your favorite flavor or even get crazy and use a BBQ sauce!
Many Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipes use sour cream for the creaminess factor, but I prefer mayonnaise. Mayo not only adds creaminess, but since it is made from eggs, helps hold the mac and cheese casserole together.
This mac and cheese sauce is thick, creamy and will grasp onto the ingredients. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add an additional ½ cup of milk. Scroll down to the notes section to see more fun variations on this spicy buffalo chicken pasta bake!
Here are a few more mac and cheese recipes you might fancy:
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk (2% or whole)
- ½ cup Buffalo Sauce , click for homemade
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , grated
- 2 cups chicken , shredded
- 2 tablespoons Italian Style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles , optional
- 1 tablespoon parsley , minced, optional
- Celery and Carrot Sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook elbow pasta according to package directions for “al dente”. Drain and set aside.
- In the same large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add dried minced onion, kosher salt and white pepper. Stir until butter is melted and onion is fragrant.
- Whisk in flour until a paste forms. Slowly add milk to form a thick cream, then add a little more until all milk is added and there are no flour lumps.
- Add buffalo sauce, whisking until combined.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and mayonnaise, whisking until combined.
- Fold in cooked elbow macaroni and shredded chicken.
- Coat a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer contents to baking dish and top with seasoned bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Change to low broil to brown the bread crumbs.
- Remove, top with blue cheese crumbles and parsley, if desired.
- Serve hot with celery and carrot sticks.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
*For easy shredded chicken, use a store-bought rotisserie chicken or canned chicken, drained. Variations: Substitute chicken for cut up hot dogs or ground beef (cooked and drained) ½ teaspoon smoked paprika ½ cup sun dried tomatoes ½ cup bacon ½ cup peas ½ cup celery or carrots, chopped ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper