Rainbow French Bread Pizza
Looking for a quick and easy pizza recipe full of veggies? My Rainbow French Bread Pizza is just what you are asking for!
Rainbow French Bread Pizza is the perfect easy pizza recipe using pizza sauce and colorful fresh vegetables. Make this into a St. Patrick’s Day pizza or have it any other time of the year!
What happened to the French Bread Pizza?
When my husband asked me what I was making today and I responded “French Bread Pizza” he got all excited and quickly commented that in our 12 years together, never once I had made a French bread pizza. He was right.
Growing up, my mom used to make all sorts of pizza recipes. Bagel pizza, tortilla pizza, English muffin pizza, French bread pizza, any suitable, bready base would do.
Now French bread pizza seems to be reserved for frozen diet meals. Well, I’m bring it back! Turns out the French Bread Pizza is credited to a man with an food truck on the campus of Cornell University.
It was an easier way to eat and transport pizza. He later licensed the idea to Stouffer’s, who in turn popularised the meal and made it forever synonymous with frozen dining. Clearly this guy was way before his time!
Do you know what the number one best thing about French bread pizza is? YOU DON’T HAVE TO MESS AROUND WITH PIZZA DOUGH!
My number one complaint of making homemade pizza is that I can never get my own dough right and this also defeats the purpose of a quick and meal or the premade crusts taste like cardboard.
I wanted to make a rainbow pizza for St. Patrick’s Day, but quickly decided I wasn’t in the mood to mess around with pizza dough, so I decided to grab a loaf of French bread and make a go of it!
Crusty French bread is the perfect base for pizza sauce topped with lots of mozzarella cheese and loads of veggies. You need a strong base to hold all of these pizza toppings!
Rainbow French Bread Pizzas are so pretty too. Make them as a St. Patrick’s Day pizza for the kiddos or any other time of year. It is the ultimate way to “eat the rainbow”!
However I did leave out the indigo, however so does Skittles, so I think it is acceptable.
Rainbow French Bread Pizzas are so easy to assemble, you can have your kids help make their own and learn their colors. Double parenting whammy! #winning
If your kids won’t eat some of my colorful choices, here are a few alternatives for rainbow pizza toppings:
- Purple Potatoes (parcooked)
- All colors of bell pepper
- All colors of tomatoes
- Pepperoni (red)
- Red or Green Cabbage
- Olives- green or black for some contrast!
If you are making these French Bread Pizzas for St. Patrick’s Day, here are some sweet treats to have after:
Tools for making easy homemade pizza:
Bread Knife– not just for pizza, use this knife for cutting any bread. It is so much easier!
Rimmed Baking Sheet– another kitchen staple! You’ll use this for prep work, roasting and much more. I have 7 at my house.Rainbow French Bread Pizza is the perfect easy pizza recipe using pizza sauce and colorful fresh vegetables. Make this into a St. Patrick's Day pizza or have it any other time of the year!
Check out more St. Patrick’s Day Games and crafts HERE!
- 1 large loaf French bread
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese , finely shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion , chopped
- 3/4 cup broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup yellow grape tomatoes , quartered
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper , chopped
- Preheat oven to high broil.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise and then half down the middle, creating quarters.
- Place cut side up on a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Divide pizza sauce on each French bread pizza. Do the same with finely shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Follow the colors of the rainbow and arrange your red onion, broccoli, tomatoes, and bell peppers in the order of the rainbow. Remember ROY-G-BIV!
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake for approximately 15 minutes. Cheese should be melted and veggies starting to soften, but not limp.
- Remove and eat immediately!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!