Fruit Fluff Salad Recipe
Tis the season for pumpkin spice and fruit fluff salad recipes. The two concepts are every place you look, however we all seem to enjoy them in different ways.
Fruit Fluff Salad is a classic side dish for the holidays combining Cherry Fluff, Pineapple Fluff and Cranberry Fluff Salad into one!
I have a confession to make. I have never made any type of fruit fluff salad previous to this one. Every year I see them floating around the internet. Pistachio fluff. Cranberry Fluff. Cherry Fluff. Orange Fluff.
Fluff salads galore! It was never one of our family traditions, so I actually had to look up what ingredients to use in fluff salad.
Turns out fluff salad doesn’t even use marshmallow fluff. Only mini marshmallows and whipped cream. Now my next question, is fruit fluff salad a side dish or dessert?
It tastes like a dessert, yet I see it alongside the other savory dishes on Thanksgiving buffets. I guess that probably remains a family tradition as well.
Turns out fruit fluff salad is just the lay name for another classic dish: Ambrosia Salad. Most ambrosia recipes contain pineapple, mandarin oranges, miniature marshmallows, and coconut.
I’m not a huge fan of coconut and I liked the thought of adding as many types of fruit to my fluff as possible.
So I did. Instead of making just one flavor of “fluff” I decided to blend cranberry, cherry and pineapple for the ultimate fruit fluff recipe.
I have to say, while we ate ours for dessert, it is pretty tasty and has a fairly sophisticated texture variation for being such a simple recipe.
I’d love to hear more about your family fluff salad traditions in the comments. I’m intrigued by the whole fluff phenomenon
Tools for making Fruit Fluff Salad:
Mini Food Processor– I use this thing daily! It is by far my most used kitchen appliance, it is small and I throw all the parts into the dishwasher, well except the base and cord, of course!
Colander – Another kitchen staple that every home should have.
Here are a few more traditional side dish recipes:
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Fruit Fluff Salad with Cranberry, Cherry and Pineapple
- 2 cups frozen cherries , defrosted and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries , finely minced*
- 1 cup crushed pineapple , drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans , roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 3 cups whipped cream
- Combine cherries, cranberries and pineapple with sugar in a mixing bowl. Toss well and set aside for 30 minutes at room temperture.
- Drain any excess liquid. Add pecans and mini marshmallows. Gently fold in whipped cream.
- Fluff is best served immediately but can be covered and refrigerated for up to 6 hours.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
- I use a small food processor to quickly chop up the cranberries. Large chunks will be bitter and mess with the final taste of the fruit fluff salad.