With minimal ingredients and time you can whip up this Orange Fluff Salad for that next potluck, family gathering or picnic with ease. With only 6 ingredients, you can’t get any more simple than that.
When it comes to Fluff Salads it really brings me back to my childhood and one of my grandparents or great aunts bringing these to all of our get togethers.
This is such a simple salad that you can do with a variety of different flavors as well such as pistachio, strawberry, cherry, etc and all you need to do is really just change out the fruits and gelatin you use.
How much more simple can you get than that? In our house, simple is how we go and how we thrive and I’m sure a lot of people can relate to that.
Orange Fluff Ingredients
What ingredients do you need for orange fluff salad?
- Mandarin Oranges– use the canned kind so they are super soft, but be mindful to drain them first. They are watery as it is and you don’t want runny salad.
- Crushed pineapple– same goes with the crushed pineapple. You want the juicy goodness, but not so much that your fluff goes flat.
- Cottage cheese– this, my foodie friends, is the game changing ingredient. I used to use pudding mix for the extra creamy factor, but soon discovered from a friend that cottage cheese does the same trick but with extra emphasis on the creamy and a little less sweet.
- Orange gelatin- Any type will do!
- Whipped topping- I do suggest using whipped topping instead of whipped cream. Whipped topping is made from hydrogenated vegetable oil and there is more stable and won’t fall. Whipped cream has the tendency to melt.
- Mini marshmallows – Minis are best for the structure of the salad, but it you have big ones, use kitchen shears to snip them into smaller pieces. The variety color pastel mini marshmallows are also fun to use. I put a few more on top as garnish. Cool Whip is the prefered brand for this.
How do you make orange fluff salad?
Like stated before this is such a simple recipe to make. You start off by mixing your oranges, pineapple and cottage cheese in a bowl until combined. Make sure you drain those fruits first!
You then add orange gelatin and mix it together so that it dissolves nicely.
PRO TIP: This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for large crowds and is great for potlucks!
You then stir in whipped topping until everything is incorporated. Lastly, fold in the marshmallows.
Tips & Variations
- You can use small or large curd cottage cheese.
- Drain your pineapple and oranges as well as you can, otherwise the salad itself can turn out runny.
- You can use pineapple tidbits instead of crushed pineapple if you like.
- Also use cherry gelatin + cherry pieces.
- Also use orange gelatin + fruit cocktail.
- Add chopped nuts like walnuts or pistachios.
- Add flaked coconut, sweetened or unsweetened.
This Orange Fluff Salad recipe is as simple as they come, it whips up quick and is an easy dish to bring to any type of gathering.
Make Ahead & Freezing
Orange Fluff is best served within a few hours of preparation or is has the tendency to get runny and melty. But since it is such an easy recipe, it should be easy to whip it up right before serving.
It will stay good for up to 3 days, but the texture will be different.
I do not recommend freezing orange fluff.
Why is it called fluff?
If you’ve ever had it- you’d know. Because it is like fluffy little clouds!
So light and delicate, it melts in your mouth. A favorite on hot summer days and also for cold weather holidays, you can’t go wrong with fluff.
You might also like:
- S’mores No Bake Cheesecake Fluff
- Lemon Cookie Salad
- Fruit Fluff Salad
- Easy Fruit Salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
More fruity desserts:
- Berry Ricotta Cheesecake
- Caramel Apple Poke Cake
- Homemade Cherry Jam
- Cherry Chocolate Cookie Dough
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins
- Mixed Berry Pie
- Apple Fritters
Tools for making this orange fluff recipe:
Colander – Another kitchen staple that every home should have.
Measuring Utensils– While I like to eyeball it, most folks prefer to measure. Suit yourself 🙂
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Delicious orange fluff salad is sure to be a family favorite if it isn’t already!
Orange Fluff Salad
- 11 ounces can mandarin oranges , drained
- ½ cup crushed pineapple , drained well
- 1 lb small curd cottage cheese
- 3.4 ounces package orange gelatin
- 8 ounces container whipped topping
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In bowl combine the oranges, pineapple and cottage cheese until mixed.
- Add in your orange gelatin and stir until it starts to dissolve.
- Stir in your whipped topping until everything is combined.
- Fold in your mini marshmallows.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!