This recipe will show you how to make corn fritters the easy way! They only take 25 minutes to make and they’re the perfect snack. Get ready to have some flavorful and crispy corn fritters!
Easy Corn Fritters are lightly fried with scallions, cumin, and white pepper. They’re deliciously crispy! They can be served as an appetizer, snack or with your favorite chili recipe.
What is a fritter? It is a funny name for sure! A fritter is any lightly fried, battered food. What is in that batter can vary greatly and be savory or sweet.
Sometimes fruit, like apples or peaches dusted with powdered sugar, and other times savory like corn fritters or ricotta and sage. Cheese, meats, fruits, seafood and vegetables are all fair game!
I think of fritters as being a quintessential Southern food, but really you can find the broad definition in almost every culture.
Easy Corn Fritters are most frequently served with chili, but can also be a side dish or appetizer for just about any meal. The batter can be prepared ahead of time, with a quick fry right before serving. Corn fritters are best served fresh and hot.
It gives a nice texture without being overly salty. Really, I put Maldon Sea Salt on everything. I even have a travel pouch for it. Seriously. I’m a salt nut.
If you liked this corn fritters recipe, be sure to check out these amazing corn recipes:
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Creamy Corn and Green Chile Dip
- Grilled Corn, Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- Cheesy Corn Dip
- Bacon Wrapped Cilantro Lime Corn
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- in Vegetable oil enough to fill 1/4 inchyour skillet or frying pan
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: flour through white pepper. Mix well.
- In a second, medium bowl, combine wet ingredients: egg through melted butter, whisk to combine.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients until just combined. Much like pancakes, you do not want to over beat. Fold in corn and scallions.
- Heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in skillet or frying pan over medium- high heat. To test oil, flick a bit of batter into oil. If it browns and sizzles, oil is ready.
- Spoon approximately 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into hot oil. Fry for about 2-3 minutes, turning halfway. Fritters will be a golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet. If you are making a large batch I recommend keeping them warm in the oven while frying.
If you've tried this recipe, make sure to come back and let us know how it was!