Broccolini might be my husband and I’s favorite green veggie. It is easy to make and so underrated- if you’ve never heard it it, I encourage you to give it a whirl! This Garlic Parmesan Broccolini recipe is just like broccoli, but with broccolini instead.
What's In This Article
Garlic Parmesan Broccolini
What is broccolini? Most people think it is just another name for broccoli, but it is not.
In fact, it is sometimes referred to as baby broccoli. The truth is that it is that it is a hybrid between broccoli (florets) and Chinese broccoli (long, thin stems).
It tastes similar to broccoli, but the texture is a little different. The stems are a little woody but edible. I happen to prefer them to the stalks of broccoli, which can sometimes get a little mushy.
How do you cook broccolini? Most people roast it, some grill it and others steam it, like for broccolini salad. For this Garlic Parmesan Broccolini recipe, we’ll be doing a quick bake.
To prep it, simply cut off about 1/2 inch to an inch of the ends. I like to cut it until this little white dot in the center is gone.
With just 5 ingredients, a simple side dish is perfect for an elegant dinner or a simply night of burgers on the grill. In fact, this batch is being served with my Caprese Chicken and Spinach Gnocchi.
It takes 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish and can be made ahead of time and reheated on the stove or oven right before serving too. All you do is heat them until they are bright green and you are done!
Garlic Parmesan Broccolini Ingredients
Does it get any easier? This recipe uses only 5 ingredients.
- Broccolini- Looks for thinner stems so they have time to cook and become tender.
- Garlic– I implore you to use whole garlic instead of jarred garlic, which can be sweet instead of garlicky. Because we slice it, you will get the flavor without an overwhelming “I’m going to peel the paint tonight” flavor.
- Fine Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper– Totally standard.
- Olive Oil– Use a good quality here.
- Parmesan Cheese– Parmesan cheese is a hard cheese and best shredded right off the block for maximum freshness. I like to use the smallest grate for bally pieces instead of actual long shreds. You can also use pre shredded as time saver.
Make Ahead & Storage
This Garlic Parmesan Broccolini can certainly be prepared ahead of time and simply reheated. I like to reheat mine in a hot skillet to retain some of that char and crunch on the tips, but the microwave is also a viable option. You can also throw it back into the oven.
Cooked broccolini will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container.
Raw broccolini can be stored for up to a week in the fridge. Keep that in mind when grocery shopping. You will want to prepare it within a week of buying it.
More green side dishes to try:
- Crunchy Baked Broccoli
- Red Wine Vinegar Broccolini
- Creamed Spinach
- Zucchini Fritters
- Pan Fried Broccolini
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Garlic Parmesan Broccolini
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss trimmed broccolini in olive oil, Kosher salt, minced garlic and ground black pepper.
- Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, leaving extra oil in the mixing bowl. You can fish out chunks of garlic and just add them on top. Arrange in a single layer.
- Roast for 12-14 minutes, or until broccolini is tender and vibrant green.
- Remove and top with grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings.