This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento®. The opinions and text are all mine.
One of our favorite weeknight meals are smothered burritos. Regardless of what you put in them, they are easy to prepare, can be made ahead of time, are freezer friendly and allow for lots of vegetables.
Smothered Beef Burritos are a cheesy and easy dinner idea perfect for quick assembly, freezing or making ahead. Loaded with ground beef, vegetables, enchilada sauce and cheese!
Beef burritos rank pretty high up on the list of best recipes ever. And what makes the perfect beef burrito? Lots of CHEESE!
Make sure to PIN these Smothered Burritos!
But not just any cheese, it has to be good cheese: Sargento® Reserve Series™ Shredded 18-Month Aged Cheddar Cheese. Aged to perfection to achieve the best taste and creamy texture.
Sargento Reserve Series Shredded 18-Month Aged Cheddar cheese is rich and savory; a premium cheddar aged to just the right level of sharpness to make it perfect for any recipe, but certainly for quick weeknight meals. Add to your favorite casseroles, appetizers, pasta dishes and breakfast recipes to elevate the flavor profile.
Many beef burrito recipes use shredded beef, but quite frankly, it takes so much more time! While there are some days when I want to spend time to create a beautiful and time-consuming meal, I am generally working on short time and ground beef does the trick while still tasting great.
Ground beef is also more budget conscious and can be purchased in bulk and frozen into meal sized portions. If you prefer, you can even use ground turkey or ground chicken.
PRO TIP: Drain ground beef mixture in a fine colander so you can make the vegetables and ground beef at the same time.
I save even more time by sautéing onions and bell peppers right with the ground beef. It saves time, but also imparts flavor into both ingredients. Add more (or less) based on your personal preference.
Questions you might have about how to make beef burritos:
Can I freeze smothered beef burritos? Sure you can! This is a freezer-friendly beef burrito recipe. I suggest you go ahead and assemble them and then freeze in an aluminum pan or individually in airtight plastic bags. Check out my tutorial on how to best freeze foods.
Can I make beef burritos ahead of time? This is a great meal to assemble up to a day ahead and then bake when you are ready. The bake time should increase about 10 minutes since the ingredients will need to come up to temperature from the refrigerator rather than hot from the frying pan.
I do suggest waiting to top with enchilada sauce and cheese until you are ready to bake.
Can I substitute ground chicken? You can substitute any ground meat you’d like or even make it into a blend.
Here are several more recipes perfect for the Sargento Reserve Series:
- Garlic Parmesan Asparagus
- Loaded Chicken Nachos
- Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- Authentic Mongolian Beef Recipe
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Smothered Beef Burritos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and bell pepper, toss to coat in oil.
- Crumble and add ground beef, breaking apart as it cooks. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Drain in a colander or use a slotted spoon to transfer mixture to a paper towel lined plate.
- Spray a casserole or baking dish with cooking spray.
- Ground beef mixture will be divided into 6 large burritos. Roll ground beef with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese in each large flour tortilla.
- Place into baking dish, seam side down, snuggly.
- Top with enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove and top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how you liked the recipe!