These Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect Halloween snacks for a party! This Halloween snack is a great way to bring some fun and festivity to any even. Get the kids involved in making this Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats recipe!
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats are perfect for any fall gathering or as an easy Halloween dessert! Ready in only 20 minutes, everyone will love them!
I used peanut butter because I wanted to cover up any residual taste from the red food coloring and because it enhanced the pumpkin color. You can also make Caramel Rice Krispie Treats and decorate the same way.
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats are a great kids project, giving them creative license to decorate to their hearts content. I’m not very artistic, so my Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats were decorated by the steady hand of my neighbor, but feel free to get assorted frosting colors and make these really pop!
If you liked these Halloween Rice Krispie Treats, check out these other easy Halloween desserts:
- Halloween Bark
- Halloween Rice Krispie Treat Cake
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars
- Easy Halloween Cake
- Cake Cone Witch Hats
Tools for making Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats:
- Non Powdered Latex Gloves – Say what? Non powdered latex gloves are another one of my kitchen essentials. Anytime I chop a hot pepper (jalapeno, serrano, habanero), you risk the oils permeating your skin and it BURNS! They are also great for sticky foods, like making Rice Krispie treats!
- Wooden Spoons– great for stirring anything sticky. I buy them in bulk and when they start to get yucky, I toss them. Make yours last longer by hand washing!
- Heavy Bottom Sauce Pan– this will be one of your most used kitchen tools. Having something that is heavy bottom will distribute heat better and prevent burning whether you are using an electric or gas range.
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 12 drops red food coloring , may vary depending type
- 4 drops yellow food coloring , may vary depending type
- 12 Tootsie Roll Midgees
- Desired Frosting Colors for Decorating
In a medium sauce pan melt butter and peanut butter over medium heat for 3 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon. Add marshmallows and food coloring. Continue to stir until marshmallows are melted and sticky like glue. A wooden spoon is important here because the mixture will stick less to this surface.
Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispie cereal. Blend well.
Although I highly recommend wearing powder-free latex gloves, you can also use wax paper to mold the warm mixture into round balls.
Push a tootsie roll into the top for the stem. The heat from the pumpkin will create a malleable material so the tootsie roll can be gently bent. Ridges in the tootsie roll create a natural and woody effect.
Allow pumpkins to cool completely, then decorate with frosting.