I’m a fan of quick and easy Halloween desserts but this Rice Krispie Treat Haunted House was just too cute to not spend some time making! It’s like a gingerbread house for Halloween. So much fun!
With this Rice Krispie Treat House Template, you’ll be able to make the cutest Halloween dessert you’ve ever seen. So cute, in fact, you may not even want to eat it!
I’ve officially broken my pattern of making only the quickest and easiest Halloween treats, like my Halloween Brownies with box brownie mix or my 10 minute Monster Bark. With this Rice Krispie Treat Haunted House, I stuck with my theme of “cute and fun” over spooky or just plain weird Halloween desserts but this does take a bit more time and preparation than the other Halloween themed desserts I like to make.
The end result, using this Rice Krispie Treat house template, is so adorable that it’s well worth it!
Much like making a gingerbread house at Christmas, this Rice Krispie Treat Haunted House is more of an afternoon craft project than a dessert. It’s an opportunity to get creative, have some fun, and create a masterpiece to show off to all of your Halloween guests (or trick-or-treaters) who will surely “oooh” and “aaaah”, completely jealous they didn’t think to make such a fun haunted house.
And then, of course, once it’s been displayed for all to see this haunted house is completely edible…though I did feel a bit sad eating it because it was just too cute to tear apart!
This Rice Krispie Treat house template leaves lots of room for creativity. In this Haunted House recipe, I’ve provided you with the basics of how to make the Rice Krispie mix, form and create the haunted house, and how I colored the house. Beyond that, the possibilities are endless!
I personally decorated my haunted house with lots of candy corn, cute little ghosts, and pumpkins. If spooky Halloween desserts are more your thing, you could definitely decorate this to be less cute and more spooky too.
If you have kids, this is a fun weekend activity to do with them but I’ll be honest…I had a blast just putting this together myself. It was fun to have the complete creative freedom to decorate this Rice Krispie Haunted House however I wanted!
Since you like this Rice Krispie Haunted House, you may like these other easy Halloween decorations:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 2 tubes of Wilton Frosting
- 1 Wilton Color Mist , black
- Wilton Decorations
- Melt butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat.
- Add mini marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- When marshmallows are melted, remove from heat.
Using a wooden spoon, add Rice Krispie Cereal, stirring until fully combined.
Spread into a 11 x 17 inch butter coated rimmed baking sheet or jelly roll pan. I find using a piece of parchment or wax paper makes this easier.
- Allow to cool fully.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Turn cooled Rice Krispie Treats onto a clean working space. Cut six 5 x 3 1/2-inch pieces, and one 2 x 1 inch piece (for the door) and one 1 x 3 inch piece for the chimney.
- You should still be left with one large slab. Place this on your display plate or tray. I used a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- Cut top corners off at an angle to form peak of house on two rectangular pieces.
- Place cut pieces on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and reshape, if needed. Allow to cool fully. Pieces should be hard and crunchy.
- Allow to cool fully.
- Generously pipe frosting on each end of the side walls. Stand front wall in the center of house base. Attach right side wall. Then attach back and left side walls.
- To attach roof, pipe prepared frosting around the top edges of the front and back walls. Attach remaining two 5- x 3 1/2-inch pieces to form roof.
- Attach door where desired. Attached chimney on top.
- Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to allow frosting to set.
- Using Wilton Color Mist, mist the house to cover up any imperfections.
- Decorate as desired. Keep in the refrigerator when not displayed.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Pumpkin Patch Graveyard Eclair from Big Bear’s Wife
- Pumpkin Empanadas from Pook’s Pantry
- Malted Milk Ball Spider Cookies from Pastry Chef Online
- Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes from Mrs Happy Homemaker
- Purple Velvet Halloween Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Eyeball Jello Shots from I am a Honey Bee
- Monster Fudge from 4 Sons R Us
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Blender Mom
- Vampire Ice Cream Floats from Daily Dish Recipes
- Graveyard Pie from Eat Move Make
- Easy Skeleton Cake Pops from Pint Sized Baker
- Swiss Meringue Spooky Skull from Kudos Kitchen
- Candy Corn Cheesecake Mousse from The Spiffy Cookie
- Melting Witch Candy Popcorn Halloween Party Mix from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Dragon’s Eggs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Graveyard Dip from Mildly Meandering
- Eyeball Cake Balls from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- White Chocolate Ghost Cupcakes from The Beard and The Baker
- Halloween Chocolate Blossom Sprinkle Cookies from House of Nash Eats
- Rice Krispie Haunted House from Savory Experiments
- Halloween Snack Mix from Katie’s Cucina
- Monster Rice Krispies from For the Love of Food
Happy Halloween! We hope you’re ready for a spooktacular event as we celebrate Halloween with the first annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This haunting week-long event is filled with fantastic Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For our very first #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 100 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.