Orange Thyme Turkey Recipe
If you are looking for a way to jazz up your dinner table, look no further than my Orange Thyme Turkey Recipe.
Orange Thyme Turkey is the BEST roasted turkey recipe for juicy turkey and guaranteed to give you the best drippings to make a flavorful gravy.
It is that time of year again! Everyone is searching high and low on the internet to find the BEST turkey recipe. One thing is for sure, there are many ways to prep a bird.
I think my Orange Thyme Turkey is up there in the top 5.
Make sure to PIN Orange Thyme Turkey!
Some prefer a simple roasted turkey. Seasoned and roasted low for hours, this is the most iconic way to cook a bird. You can also brine and then roast a turkey. This is a fool-proof way to a moist turkey, but it is a lengthy process.
The newest and most trendy way to cook a turkey is to fry it. This method is not for the faint of heart, but it does give you some really crispy turkey skin and it’s a fast method. Be sure to take precautions and be sure to do this outside.
Fear not! You can roast a juicy turkey with this simple recipe with just a little preparation.
My Orange Thyme Turkey is super flavorful. The key to this recipe is injecting the meat with flavor AND stuffing the cavity.
The result is flavor rich and moist and prevents you from the time-consuming task of brining the bird.
A quick orange juice injection infuses flavor into the meat, keeping it moist. You also stuff the cavity with aromatics, onion, and oranges. As the turkey roasts, everything in the cavity releases its moisture and flavor into the meat.
The result is the juiciest roasted turkey! Sweet and succulent, your guests will rave about your turkey making ability.
For even more flavor, I pair my Orange Thyme Turkey with a Red Wine Gravy, a twist on the traditional turkey drippings gravy your guests will love!
If you loved my Orange Thyme Turkey, try some of my other outstanding Thanksgiving recipes for your table this year:
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Orange Thyme Turkey
- 10-12 pound turkey
- 4 large oranges
- 4 cloves garlic grated or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 orange sliced
- 1/2 red onion quartered
- 5 star anise pods whole
- 2-3 fresh thyme springs
- Red Wine Gravy
- Orange Slices optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse turkey with cold water. Remove any wrapping, plastic pieces, and giblets. Pat turkey dry and allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the seasoning.
- Zest and juice all four oranges, reserving in separate bowls.
- In the bowl of a small food processor, combine garlic, thyme leaves, kosher salt, dark brown sugar, and black pepper. Pulse until coarse paste forms. Add room temperature butter, mix well.*
- Loosen the skin of the turkey with your fingers. Smear butter under the skin. Try to use as much as possible, but if there is any leftover, reserve for inside the cavity.
- Stuff the cavity with orange slices, red onion, star anise, thyme sprigs, and any leftover compound butter.
- Truss turkey to ensure even cooking and flavor.
- Inject reserved orange juice into all areas of the turkey.
- Place the turkey in the oven, cooking for 15 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees in the breast. If the turkey starts to brown too fast, place a piece of aluminum foil over the browning spots.
- Take turkey out of the oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with additional orange slices and fresh thyme leaves. When ready to serve, carve and serve with Red Wine Gravy.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
- If you don’t have a small food processor, finely mince all ingredients as best as possible and mash with butter using the back of a spoon or fork.