Lemon Garlic Shrimp Salad is a healthier version of classic comfort food using plain yogurt, celery, carrots, chives, dill and spices on a buttery brioche roll.
That’s where this Lemon Garlic Shrimp Salad comes in. It’s full of fresh flavors, easy to prepare and great for taking to potlucks of all kinds.
What You’ll Love About This Recipe
There’s just something about a simple salad that everyone loves. Here are a few reasons we love this lemon garlic shrimp salad:
- Fresh ingredients – With veggies like carrots and celery, juicy shrimp and fresh herbs like chives and dill, this shrimp salad recipe is perfect for spring and summer.
- Quick and easy – Besides cooking the shrimp and allowing it to cool, you can have this succulent shrimp salad ready in no time at all.
- Versatile – You can turn this shrimp dish into a complete meal, or serve it as a side alongside just about anything. The options are endless.
Lemon Garlic Shrimp Salad Ingredients
These simple ingredients are super easy to find at your local grocery store if you don’t already have them on hand.
- Shrimp – This recipe works best with medium sized shrimp. I prefer to use fresh shrimp, but you can use frozen as long as it’s thawed. Make sure they are peeled and de-veined. Salad shrimp (the tiny ones) are also an option.
- Salt and pepper – I use a blend of coarse kosher salt and white pepper. If you want to take the spice level up a notch, you can swap it for black pepper.
- Plain Greek yogurt – This goes without saying I’m sure, but make sure your yogurt is plain and not flavored. This is a healthier substitute for mayo.
- Carrot – You can buy the pre-shredded version at the store, or shred your own at home,
- Celery – Celery adds not only a nice crunch but also great flavor to our shrimp salad.
- Garlic – You can’t have lemon shrimp without the garlic, right? We want this grated to get the best flavor.
- Lemon – We will use this for both the zest and the juice. You can also serve your shrimp salad with a few lemon wedges for extra flavor. You can also take this up a notch with preserved lemons.
- Herbs – I chose to use a blend of fresh chives and fresh dill. But you can feel free to experiment with other herbs that you love.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Shrimp Salad
Whether made as a main course for a flavor-packed meal or an easy side, this shrimp recipe is super easy to make.
- Cook shrimp. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add coarse kosher salt. Add the shrimp and boil for a few minutes or until they turn opaque and pink.
- Allow to chill. Remove shrimp and add to a bowl with ice to cool down fast. Drain well on a paper towel lined plate and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Combine ingredients. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, carrot, celery, garlic, lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, chives, dill, salt and white pepper.
- Add shrimp. Toss the shrimp in the yogurt mixture.
- Enjoy. Serve on lettuce cups, as a side dish or on a buttery croissant.
How to Serve Lemon Garlic Shrimp Salad
There are plenty of fun ways to serve this shrimp salad. If you’re trying to stay healthier and low carb, serve it in a romaine lettuce wrap. You can also serve it on a bun sandwich style, or even on a nice slice of crusty bread as a main dish.
We like this shrimp salad recipe exactly as written, but there are plenty of ways you can make it your own.
- Extra veggies – You can always add in your favorite things like extra veggies. Red onion, yellow onion, bell peppers or english cucumber would all add great flavor to this shrimp mixture.
- Add some heat – If you like your salads to have a little heat to them, throw in some red pepper flakes, black pepper or even a dash of hot sauce to take things up a notch.
- Herbs – In addition to the chives and dill, you could also add things like green onions or fresh parsley to really add to the flavor.
Storage and Freezing
Storage: You can store any lemon garlic shrimp salad leftovers in an airtight container. Make sure to store in the refrigerator and it should last up to two days.
Freezing: Celery doesn’t thaw particularly well, and if you bought frozen shrimp, it shouldn’t be frozen again. Therefore, I do not recommend freezing this salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe is made up of a combination of shrimp, Greek yogurt, carrots, celery, garlic, lemon, fresh herbs and salt and pepper.
Check the section above for serving suggestions, but this salad goes with just about anything! Serve it as a main meal or a side.
This lemon garlic shrimp salad will last about two days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store in an airtight container.
More Shrimp Recipes
Lemon Garlic Shrimp Salad
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt. Add the shrimp and boil for 2-3 minutes or until they turn opaque and pink.
- Remove shrimp and add to a bowl with ice to cool down fast. Drain well and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, carrot, celery, garlic, zest of lemon, fresh juice of lemon, chives, dill, salt and white pepper.
- Toss the shrimp in the yogurt mixture.
- Serve on lettuce cups, as a side dish or on a buttery croissant.
- If you've tried this recipe, please come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.