You’ve heard of red velvet cake, you’ve heard of red velvet cookies, well now, you’ve heard of green velvet cookies for St. Patrick’s Day!
Green Velvet Crinkle Cookies are the perfect easy cookie recipe for St. Patrick’s Day or any other green themed party!
Traditional red velvet is flavored by cocoa and buttermilk, but simply just colored with red food coloring. Due to the batter being a muddy brown, it does not take much food coloring to get the deep reds we know and love.
Green velvet cookies are a hybrid between traditional red velvet and Lemon Cooler Cookies. Due to the same brown batter, the green food coloring makes for a deep, army green hue instead of a light and playful shade.
Don’t let the color fool you, you’ll get all of the cocoa flavor as red velvet. Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate!
If you like our Green Velvet Crinkle Cookies, then check out these other St. Patrick’s Day desserts!
- Rainbow Cupcakes
- Shamrock Cookies
- Ombre St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars
- Guinness Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons green food color
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Place in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until it lightens one shade of yellow and is fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, food color and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture until fully combined.
- Cover and refrigerate 4-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place powdered sugar into a medium bowl and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roll cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then roll in powdered sugar. Place 2 inches apart on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies 9-11 minutes or until balls have flattened, crinkled and are matte (not shiny). They might look a little underdone, however this is just perfect for a soft cookie. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy your Green Velvet Crinkle Cookies!