Sugar Cookie Shamrocks, also known as St. Patrick’s Day cookies, aren’t a traditional Irish recipe. They are, however, a cute and easy St. Patrick’s Day dessert recipe.
Sugar Cookie Shamrocks bring the luck of the Irish with them. St. Patrick’s Day cookies creatively molded to make green lucky clovers, a great St. Patrick’s Day dessert recipe.
Other than St. Patrick’s Day, there is really only one other reason one would need to make Sugar Cookie Shamrocks, for an Around the World Party! Who wants to be Ireland?
Otherwise, let’s be honest with one another, kind of like corned beef and cabbage, these green tinted snacks don’t really make an appearance. Or at least not in our home.
Interesting fact though, I just had my ancestry tested and found out I was 40% Irish and English, so maybe I will be making Irish recipes more often.
Not that Sugar Cookie Shamrocks are Irish at all. Cute and perfect for classroom parties, St. Patrick’s Day treats or party favors.
Do you know that shamrocks only have three leaves? However very rarely, a genetic rarity results in a four leaf clover, yep, the lucky one! Shamrocks are a young sprout of plant and used mostly for medicinal purposes. Only on St. Patrick’s Day are they plentiful.
Finding one of the coveted 4 leaf clovers means luck in Irish tradition and has been forever tied to St. Patrick’s Day festivities and Irish culture.
So next year as a close to your holiday plans, end with these sweet treats.
Tools for making Sugar Cookie Shamrocks:
Insulated Cookie Sheet– Insulated cookie sheets allow hot air to circulate around the entire cookie, resulting in even baking.
Stand Mixer- While this is an investment, I can guarantee you will use it more than you realize and will never regret the decision.
If you are planning an Irish theme party or celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, here are more Irish Recipes:
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
Sugar Cookie Shamrocks - St. Patrick's Day Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ounce green sugar sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and pale.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Mixing well to combine.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place green sugar sprinkles in a bowl. Roll cookie dough into approximately 48 3/4 inch size balls. Roll 36 of those in green sugar sprinkles.
- On cookie sheet, press together 3 green sugar colored balls for the leaves and the mold one plain sugar cookie ball into a stem. Continue with remaining cookie dough balls. You will have approximately 12 cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Do not wait for cookie to start to brown, remove right before.
- Allow to cool fully before serving.
- If you've tried these, come back and let us know how they were!