This french baked onions recipe will be the perfect dish to serve to your family and friends! It is a fun and tasty new way to incorporate onions into a delicious side dish!
French Baked Onions are the perfect dish when you want french onion soup without the soup. A side dish recipe perfect for any meal.
Have you ever craved French onion soup during the warmer months? Too heavy, too hot, maybe not. Here is your answer: French Baked Onions. All the goodness and taste of a hearty crock of French onion soup, but without the heaviness.
A classic twist on the typical French onion soup, this French Baked Onions recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings! The key to this recipe is using sweet onions because they have a smooth but sweet flavor, which gives this baked onion recipe exactly what it needs!
Slowly roasting onions in beef consomme does two things; it caramelizes them and infuses them with the flavor of beef. Finish it off with a little bit of sage, salt, pepper and a slice of silky Swiss cheese and viola: French Baked Onions (French Onion Soup without the soup). The perfect side dish for any grilled steak!
If you liked this baked onion recipe, make sure you check out some of these other easy onion recipes:
If you are looking for even more fabulous appetizers, snag a copy of my Easy Appetizers Beyond Dips Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, one of these fun and festive appetizers sure to be the hit of any gathering!
- 2 large sweet onions , halved lengthwise
- 10.5 ounces beef consomme
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 4-8 slices Swiss cheese , depending on how cheesy you like it
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly coat a large baking dish with cooking spray. I use 9x13, however you could go slightly smaller. Onions halves need to lay in a single layer.
- Lay onions halves into the baking dish. Pour beef consomme over top of onions. Add water to bottom of the dish.
- Place onions in the oven. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with beefy broth.
- Onions should be translucent and soft. Top each onion halve with 1-2 slices Swiss cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sage on each slice. Season with fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Return to the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt.
- Remove and serve immediately.