French Baked Onions Recipe
This French Baked Onion recipe will be the perfect dish to serve to your family and friends! It is a fun and tasty new way to get the flavor of french onion soup in a simple and delicious side dish.
French Baked Onions are the perfect dish when you want french onion soup without the soup. A side dish recipe perfect for any meal.
Have you ever craved French onion soup during the warmer months? Too heavy, too hot, maybe not? Perhaps it is just too much work to put it all together.
Here is your answer: French Baked Onions. All the goodness and taste of a hearty crock of French onion soup, but without all the heavy lifting or the heaviness of the original dish.
A classic twist on the typical French onion soup, French Baked Onions is a recipe that is sure to satisfy your cravings. The key to this recipe is using sweet onions because they have a smooth but sweet flavor, which gives this baked onion recipe exactly what it needs.
Onion soups are baked into our culinary history as far back as the Roman times. Being easy to grow and easy to cook, they were seen as food for the less fortunate.
The French Onion Soup that we all know and love didn’t come into the scene until the 18th century and really took onion soup to a whole different plane in terms of flavor.
For those of you who haven’t made this famous soup before, it makes the most of the humble onion.
By slowly caramelizing the onions in butter, it caramelizes the sugars that are naturally in them which give it its unique and deeply savory sweetness. Top it with beef broth and you have a winner.
This recipe takes the same principles but simplifies things and decreases the amount of time to make an equally delicious dish. Here you are taking out the pan caramelization and going straight to the oven.
Slowly roasting onions in beef consomme (broth) in the oven still gives them that deep caramel and beef flavor, but allows you to focus on the rest of the meal. Why does caramelizing onions take so much time?!
I finished this off with a little bit of sage, salt, pepper, and a bit of silky Swiss cheese and voila: French Baked Onions. Consider it the French Onion Soup without all the work. These are the perfect side dish for dinner whether you are making steak or chicken. Enjoy!
If you do decide that you want to try your hand at caramelizing onions, give it a whirl, but make a double, maybe even triple batch and freeze them. Here are my easy instructions on how to caramelize onions.
And you then want to make a traditional French onion soup with a little bit of a twist, consider adding apples. They are sweet and the perfect accompaniment to onions and beef. try my Apple French Onion Soup!
If you liked this baked onion recipe, make sure you check out some of these other easy onion recipes:
- French Onion Chicken Casserole
- Onion Strings
- Caramelized Onion and Garlic Dip
- French Onion Pork Loin
- French Onion Dip
- French Onion Meatloaf
- Homemade Onion Soup Mix
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
French Baked Onions
- 2 large sweet onions , halved lengthwise
- 10.5 ounces beef consomme
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 4-8 slices Swiss cheese , depending on how cheesy you like it
- fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly coat a large baking dish with cooking spray. I use 9×13, however you could go slightly smaller. Onions halves need to lay in a single layer.
- Lay onions halves into the baking dish. Pour beef consomme over top of onions. Add water to bottom of the dish.
- Place onions in the oven. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with beefy broth.
- Onions should be translucent and soft. Top each onion halve with 1-2 slices Swiss cheese. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sage on each slice. Season with fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Return to the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt.
- Remove and serve immediately.