Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
I served Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup as an appetizer, but it was so hearty that it could have been a stand alone meal. It was so good, in fact, that my dinner guests came back the next day to eat the leftovers for lunch! I saw that as the ultimate compliment.
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup can be made in the slow cooker, instant pot or on the stove top. Cheesy tortellini with zesty sauce in a tomato based soup!
Mine even has the ability to be a rice cooker and steamer. For a person that doesn’t want any more small appliances, I love mine!
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup runs very close to disobeying my strict SET IT AND FORGET IT rule of “all items need to be assembled in the slow cooker in under 10 minutes” due to browning the sausage, but this little bit of time is well worth it.
You can even brown the sausage the night before and throw it all in same-day.
On this date my intentions were to make it in the slow cooker, however when I arrived home 3 hours later than anticipated my cooking methods quickly changed. Story of my life, right?
If you do want to make this in the crock pot, brown sausage and put everything except frozen spinach and tortellini into slow cooker on high. Cook for 3 hours. Add tortellini and spinach and continue to cook for an hour on low.
This is one of those slow cooker recipes that is actually faster on the stove top, but the crock pot might make it more convenient if you aren’t going to be home.
If you are looking for more comforting soups, check these out:
Tools for making Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup:
Dutch Oven– every kitchen should have one! They are heavy. They are expensive. They are worth it!
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Good knife – Global is my favorite! They are worth the price, I promise. I am kind of obsessed with them and store them tucked away so no one else can use them. Including hubby. Hands off my good stuff!
Questions you might have about making Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup:
Do I have pre cook the sausage? I would suggest it. You want to drain off any excess grease or fat in order to get the creaminess of creamy soups. It also ensures that the sausage is cooked all the way through.
Can I freeze Tortellini Soup? You sure can! Keep in an airtight plastic container or bag for 3-4 months.
Can Sausage Tortellini Soup be made ahead? You can make this soup ahead and reheat when you are ready to eat.
Can I make Tortellini soup without sausage? Sure! Just omit the sausage. It will take the flavors down a notch, but it will still be super tasty. You can also add cooked shredded chicken or even cooked ground beef.
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 3 Italian sausage links
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 14.5 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
- 10.75 ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 3 ounce cans of water from the 10.75can
- 16 ounce bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup pecorino reggiano cheese finely grated
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat. Cook sausage links until fully cooked. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Slice links into thin slices about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
- Heat butter in Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic to brown, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add reduced fat cream cheese through dried onion stirring continuously until cream cheese is starting to melt, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add entire can, juice and all, of petite diced tomatoes and condensed tomato soup. Fill empty 10.75 ounce can of soup 3 times with water and pour into Dutch oven or large pot. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil until reduced by a quarter.
- Add cooked sausage and heat for an additional 2 minutes. Add frozen tortellini and spinach. Stir and continue to boil for 5-7 minutes or until tortellini are cooked all the way through.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with pecorino reggiano cheese. Enjoy your Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!