I love how syrup seeps out the sides of my Cherry Hand Pies.One of those things that are perfect in their imperfection. Also known as Toaster Strudels!
Cherry Hand Pies use 6 easy ingredients to make a quick and delicious cherry dessert. Can be made with fresh or frozen cherries.
Whatever you stuff into your hand pie recipe, the uneven edges with fruit oozing out are what make them so unique and fun. They are also simple enough to make, using only puff pastry and a quick and low ingredient filling.
For my hand pies, I used frozen cherries. It is winter, of course. I am a lover of summer fruits and cherries are at the top of my list.
I have literally eaten a couple pounds in day for breakfast and lunch. While frozen cherries aren’t that great to eat merely defrosted, I can still get my cherry fix by baking them in buttery pre-made pastry, a little lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch to thicken up the natural juices.
On this particular day, the stars aligned. I had recently seen a cherry hand pie recipe in the margins of Bon Appetit Magazine, I needed just a small amount of puff pastry for an escargot dish, leaving 1 1/2 sheets and I had frozen cherries. Why not make cherry hand pies?
Two things to keep in mind when making Cherry Hand Pies. Frozen cherries are sometimes labeled as “bitter” and might require additional sugar. I try to find the sweet cherries.
I also prefer an all-butter puff pastry to a shortening base, but most folks can’t taste the difference. Or don’t care. LOL.
If you love cherries the way I do, check out these other cherry recipes!
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
Cherry Hand Pies
For hand pies:
- 2 sheets puff pastry defrosted
- 1 1/2 cups cherries pitted and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
For glaze (optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss cherries, sugar, corn starch and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Unroll puff pastry sheets and cut each into 6 equal rectangles. Equally spoon filling into the 6 of the rectangles, heaping it on there, but leaving edges free.
- Top with remaining 6 puff pastry rectangles and press together using the edge of a fork.
- Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whip egg in a small bowl and lightly brush onto tops. With a sharp knife, cut 3 slits in each hand pie.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, although times can vary depending on the brand of puff pastry you purchase.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, blend together glaze ingredients until a "drizzable" consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over cherry hand pies. Eat immediately or serve room temperature with a scoop of ice cream.
- If you've tried this recipe come back and let us know how it was!