Brookies really are the ultimate dessert recipe! Made with brownie batter and chocolate chip cookie dough then swirled together to form a soft yet gooey in the middle bar everyone will be obsessed with.
Brownie + Cookie
I really can’t think of a more crowd-pleasing dessert that will make both cookie and brownie lovers swoon. These brookie bars are made completely from scratch and are a indulgent treat perfect for both kids and adults.
I absolutely love making these brookies with my kiddos, and I know they adore eating them. You can enjoy the bars just how they are, or top with vanilla ice cream, caramel or even hot fudge for a next level dessert.
Short on time? No problem, you can make the cookie dough and brownie batter ahead of time or even use a boxed mix for easier and faster prep.
What are Brookies?
What exactly is a brookie you may be asking? Um, only the most delicious combination of brownies and chocolate chip cookies known to man!
Brookies are exactly what the they sound like: a combination of a cookie and brownie. They can be made into brookie cookies, or brookie bars.
This brookie recipe sticks to the classic chocolate brownie and chocolate chip cookie combo, but customization can easily be made if you wish.
Tips for the Best Brookie Bars
Don’t over swirl! When adding the raw brownie batter and cookie dough to the baking dish try not to swirl them into each other too much.
If you do the batter will become muddy and they will not look as pretty. All you need to do it drop spoonfuls of each in the pan and gently swirl them until just combined for the perfect brookie bars.
Making both the cookie dough and brownie batter from scratch at once can be a bit time consuming for some which I understand. If you need to, you can make both the day before and store them covered in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
When you are ready to bake your brookie bars just follow the recipe instructions and enjoy.
You can also use a boxed brownie mix for the brookie bars to save on prep work and time. The brookies will have a different flavor using a box, but the overall concept will be the same.
Storage and Leftovers
Store leftover brookie bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Enjoy at room temperature, or pop them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to get them warm and gooey again.
To further extend the shelf life of your brookies you can freeze them. Just slice them then wrap tightly in foil and store in a freezer bag. When stored in the freezer the brookies will stay good for up to 3 months. Before eating let the brookie bars thaw then warm in the microwave just until warm.
Brookies Add Ins and Toppings
I am obsessed with these brookies just the way they are; but you can easily spice them up and make them unique to fit different themes and taste preferences.
- Candy: Candy like M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, colored sprinkles or crushed Oreo cookies is a great way to add in a different flavor and this is a kiddo fave. Just add some candy into the batter or sprinkle over top of the brookies before you bake them. This is also great to help match a theme for a birthday party or baby shower.
- Chocolate: Instead of using semi-sweet chocolate chips you can toss in white chocolate, dark chocolate or a combination. Another fun idea is to add in some caramel chips.
- Fruit: This one may be a bit weird for some, but it totally works. Add a 1/2 cup of chopped frozen fruit to your brownie batter for a fun twist. Some good ones to start with are raspberries, strawberries or blackberries.
- Topping Ideas: Brookie bars are great right out the pan, but you can add some tasty toppings to enhance the flavor even more. Try them out with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, chopped fruit, hot fudge, caramel sauce, or some sprinkles.
More dessert bar recipes:
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
For the Brownie Batter
For the Brownie Batter
- Combine salt, flour, and unsweetened cocoa powder into a large bowl then stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar into a large bowl and mix with a hand or stand mixer and mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract, olive oil and eggs to the same bowl and mix an additional 2 minutes on medium.
- Add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Finally add in the chocolate chips and stir then prepare the cookie dough.
For the Cookie Dough
- Combine salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour into a large bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with a hand or stand mixer on low until well combined. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Once combined, add in the flour mixture slowly to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined and no flour remains.
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips then assemble the brookies.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Scoop large spoonfuls of cookie dough and brownie batter into the baking dish evenly covering the entire thing. Using a knife gently swirl the two together so no gaps remain and the brookies are in an even layer.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake on the center rack for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until the top is golden and a inserted toothpick comes out clean. Slice and enjoy warm.