The goal of a slow cooker meal is to save time, which is why I don’t understand a lot of these recipes that require 30 minutes of prep work. Brown the meat, chop the veggies, reduce the broth.
I need recipes that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less, like Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya.
Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya is loaded with chicken, veggies, rice and zesty Creole seasoning. Only 10 minutes to prep!
Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya does have a little bit of chopping, but I timed myself and was able to get all the chopping done and everything into the crock pot in just 10 minutes. That meets my benchmark for a good slow cooker recipe.
While the ingredient list looks a little long, have no fear. Most are just dry herbs and go by fast. I would bet you that you already have most of these ingredients in your pantry right now!
I really like veggies and I try to hide them in all sorts of places. One of which is kale. I know this superfood gets a bad rap and I get it.
It is kind cardboard-y (yes, I made that word up) and virtually has no flavor, but add it to a dish like Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya or Slow Cooker Ragu.
Okra is another under used vegetable. Popular in the south, okra can get slimy with a weird texture when overcooked, but adding it precut, chopped and frozen
Save even more time by putting all of the ingredients into the slow cooker pot the night before and then put into the fridge. Just pop the pot into the heating element in the morning and be on your way!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya recipe took me a few tries before I got to a version that I really, really liked. I used chicken sausage, but turkey or pork sausage can be substituted.
Questions you might have about this quick jambalaya recipe:
Do you cook rice before adding to jambalaya? For most recipes, no. You cook the rice with the rest of the ingredients so they absorbs the flavors. I suppose you could throw all the ingredients together separately, but it would lack cohesiveness.
What is usually in jambalaya? The creole versions always include the holy trinity- celery, onion and bell peppers, followed by rice and usually chicken and/or andouille sausage. Seafood jambalaya is a spin-off, but now commonly accepted as original as well.
What do I serve with jambalaya? I like to make a nice leafy green salad, but traditionally it is served with cornbread and collard greens.
My jambalaya is soupy, how do I thicken it? Many of the ingredients, primarily the vegetables, in jalamaboa are heavily made of up water. When that after release, it is impossible to gauge exactly how much they will release and how much dry rice needs to be added to absorb it.
If your jambalaya is too thin, you’ll need to add a small amount of cornstarch or arrowroot. If you have enough liquid that you can ladle out 1/4 cup, do so and and then whisk with 1 tablespoon thickener. Mix back into the jambalaya.
You can also use tomato juice, water or chicken broth as the liquid.
Love slow cooker recipes?
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Garlic Dill Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork and Pineapple Sliders
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 3 links chicken sausage cut into discs
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 ribs celery chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped, can be one color or assorted
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes un-drained
- 1/2 cup kale leaves packed and ripped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen okra
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce optional
- In slow cooker, add chicken through canned tomatoes. Give it a quick stir, cover and then set to 8 hours on high or 4 hours on low.
- Thirty minutes before serving, add kale, frozen okra and hot sauce, if desired. Stir and allow to finish cooking.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately. Enjoy your Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!