Two classic Italian dishes come together in my Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Shells. All you need are eight ingredients and 40 minutes for a show stopping main course.
These Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Shells are a mashup of two fan favorites and are a fun way to spice up any weekday meal.
This is a stuffed shells recipe, but with a twist. Instead of the plain old cheese mixture, I fill mine with sausage and peppers. Don’t worry, there is plenty of cheese still in them.
I love stuffed shells because you getting pasta and so much more. Plus, they are easy to make!
If you have never made stuffed shells, they are incredibly easy. You start by boil water and cooking your shells al dente – or slightly less than the package suggests.
You want them slightly underdone because they will absorb some flavor from their filling. The pasta is shocked in cold water to stop the cooking process and drained.
Now, everyone has a preference when it comes to sausage and peppers. Personally, I like to hot pork sausage the best, but play around and try different versions to see what you like best.
Instead of piping a cheese mixture into the shells, you are going to stuff them with your sausage and bell pepper mixture. Baked with some marinara and cheese and you have an instant, new classic.
Word to the wise, let them cool a few minutes before digging into your stuffed shells.
If you liked my Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Shells recipe, be sure to check out these other easy pasta recipes:
- Seafood Stuffed Shells in a Sherry Cream Sauce
- Squid Ink Pasta with White Wine Cream Sauce
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 12 ounce box jumbo shells
- 4 links sausage removed from casing (turkey or pork, sweet or spicy)
- 1 tablespoon light extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup bell peppers diced
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups Italian cheeses shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil a large pot of water, preferably a Dutch oven and add a small amount of salt (optional.) When the water comes to a rolling boil, add shells and cook according to package directions, minus 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water immediately. Transfer to a paper towel lined cookie sheet with shells placed upside down to drain excess water.
- While shells are boiling, brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, or until brown, breaking up with a spatula or spoon. Remove sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess grease. Add olive oil, bell peppers, and onion to the same hot skillet. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Transfers to a mixing bowl.
- Add browned sausage, Italian seasoning and 1 cup shredded Italian cheese to bell pepper mixture. Toss to mix.
Spread a few spoons of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 dish. Carefully fill each pasta shell with sausage mixture and place into the dish, fitting tightly so they are upright. Cover with remaining marinara sauce and 1 cup shredded Italian cheese.
Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Shells!