Salmon is one of my quick and healthy weeknight go-to meals, the trick is finding new ways to prepare it so it doesn’t get boring. Maple Citrus Salmon with Orange-Avocado Salsa uses fresh produce and a cool element to a hot plank of salmon.
Maple Citrus Salmon with Orange-Avocado Salsa is a healthy and easy baked salmon recipe perfect for any quick weeknight meal.
Maple Citrus Salmon combines sweet, savory and zesty flavors with smooth and juicy textures for the ultimate quick meal. What will stop most from making this salmon recipe?
They are scared of cooking salmon at home.
Some of you are saying “seriously?” and the other half are saying “yep, that is me!” I can’t tell you how often I hear of people being fearful of cooking salmon at home.
It really isn’t that hard. And unlike other meats that need to be cooked thoroughly, salmon (if handled properly and kept at the right temperture) is actually best served medium.
The biggest mistake people make is overcooking their salmon, resulting in dry, gross fish.
Here are a few tips for making salmon:
When in doubt, use a meat thermometer. This no shame in not being able to “eyeball it”. The FDA suggests an internal temperture of 145 degrees, however salmon if safe to eat raw, so don’t focus on getting it that temp.
When the white stuff starts to ooze out, your salmon is close to being overdone, take it out!
Handle your salmon with care. While is should go without saying, wash or hands and keep the fish refrigerated or frozen until just before cooking.
So stop being scared of making salmond and make it one of your easy, go-to and healthy weeknight meals!
The Orange-Avocado Salsa can be made ahead and can also be used as a stand alone dip, on salads or on top of chicken if someone in your family doesn’t care for salmon.
If you like making salmon for dinner, try some of my other quick salmon recipes:
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
Maple Citrus Salmon with Orange-Avocado Salsa
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Fine sea salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
For Orange-Avocado Salsa:
- 2 large navel oranges peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place salmon fillets in a single layer in the bottom of the baking dish and season with fine sea salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup and orange juice. Pour over salmon fillets, allowing to sit for at least 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until salmon flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for orange-avocado salsa in a medium bowl and gently toss.
- Remove salmon from the oven, plate and top with a generous helping of Orange-Avocado Salsa.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!