A few months back, one of my co-workers visited Alaska for salmon season. He bought back an entire cooler of fresh salmon and halibut and was gracious enough to give me some.
Crispy Caper Lemon Salmon is one of the best healthy salmon recipes. This lemon salmon is quick, easy and healthy! Crispy capers add texture sophistication to this easy weeknight meal.
To capture the full flavor of wild caught salmon, I wanted to accent without overwhelming. I created Crispy Caper Lemon Salmon.
It also happens to be super quick and healthy. Triple bonus!
You tell yourself you are “saving it for a special occasion” but you never end up using it because nothing seems special enough? Well, I’ve decided to throw that rule out the door.
What good is wild caught salmon in air vacuumed packages in the freezer?
So instead of waiting for a special night, I decided a random Tuesday night was “the night”. Lemon always pairs nicely with salmon, so that was an obvious choice. While I did season the salmon with a quality Maldon sea salt, I wanted a little more POW.
Brined capers had that factor, but instead of eating them soft, I wanted them to also add sophistication in texture. I bought brined capers, rinsed them to get rid of excess salt and then crisped them up in a small saucepan while the salmon was cooking.
Capers are one of those funny things I never cared for as a child, but all the sudden LOVE as an adult. My obsession has me asking… what is in the world is a caper?
Capers come from the caper bush, as do caper berries, but they are not the same thing. Capers are the unopened buds and caper berries are the fruit the bush produces once the buds have flowered and then been fertilized.
What do capers taste like? Some folks will tell you they taste like olives. However, I don’t really care of olives and I wholeheartedly disagree.
What I do agree with is that they are a little pickly. When brined, they are soft, but supple, and when fried are crunchy and crisp.
Combine these simple ingredients and you have an award winning dish: Crispy Caper Lemon Salmon!
Serve your Crispy Caper Salmon with one of these side dishes:
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Crispy Caper Lemon Salmon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add salmon, cover with fresh lemon juice and season with Maldon sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cooking time will vary greatly depending on the thickness of the salmon.
- While salmon is cooking, lightly spray a small frying pan and heat to medium. Add capers. Saute for 3-5 minutes, or until capers start to crisp and brown. Remove from heat and salt aside until salmon is complete.
- Remove salmon, which should be a light pink and flake easily with a fork. Top with crispy capers and serve.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!