Use this Air Fryer French Fries recipe to make perfect crispy french fries at home! This simple recipe requires just 3 ingredients.
French fries are my ultimate comfort food. I love a crispy, fast food french fry. And now, I love that I can make something just as good at home in my air fryer.
These Air Fryer French Fries are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are absolutely perfect to serve as a side dish or appetizer. I like to make homemade chicken nuggets to go along with these fries and an assortment of dipping sauces.
Customize this basic french fry in air fryer recipe with all kinds of different toppings and seasonings. My favorite way to serve them is with lots of sea salt, finely chopped parsley, parmesan cheese and truffle mayo.
Air Fryer French Fries Ingredients
Just the basics!
- Russet Potatoes – Look for medium-large sized russet potatoes that you will cut into fries yourself. You can use any type of potato that you like, but I find that russet works best to give you a crispy exterior and fluffy interior.
- Oil – I like to use avocado oil or light olive oil, but any neutral tasting oil will work like canola or vegetable.
- Salt- A larger flakey sea salt like maldon salt works best and looks beautiful on the fries.
To keep these air fryer french fries nice and crispy, it is best to season them after you cook them in the air fryer. I like to toss them in sea salt immediately after cooking them and then I add toppings. Usually I top my fries with finely chopped parsley, parmesan cheese, and a little bit of smoked paprika.
I make a sweet and spicy french fry seasoning by combining sea salt, brown sugar, and chipotle powder. Toss the fries in this mixture immediately after cooking and serve with your favorite ketchup.
Let’s be honest, most of the time french fries are just a vehicle for a sauce. These crispy french fries in air fryer are no different.
There are many different sauce options you can choose from to enjoy with your homemade french fries. My favorite are a classic ketchup or truffle mayo.
Try any of these delicious sauces:
How to Make Air Fryer French Fries
- Cut russet potatoes into fries. Wash and dry russet potatoes and cut into fries. I like to cut them into ½ inch by ½ inch rectangles. Do this by cutting the smaller ends off the potatoes. Cut the potatoes long ways in half. Then, cut each half into fry shape, trimming the skin edges as necessary. It is okay to leave some skin on the fries because it will crisp up nicely in the air fryer.
- Rinse fries thoroughly. Place the cut fries in a strainer or colander. Run under cold water to rinse. Continue rinsing the fries until the water runs clear. This will make the french fries crispier because you are rinsing any excess starch off the outside. Pat the fries dry with a paper towel. Place in a bowl and toss in oil. Be sure that each fry is evenly coated in the oil.
- Air fry french fries until crispy. Place french fries in the air fryer basket in an even layer. You will want some space between each fry so you may need to cook them in batches. Preheat your air fryer to 400F. Do not place the fries in the air fryer until it is fully preheated. Cook for 16 minutes flipping the fries one halfway through. If you need to cook the fries in batches, place all of the fries back in the air fry at the end to re-crisp for 2-3 minutes.
- Season fries and serve. Immediately season warm fries with your favorite seasonings. I like to do just flaky sea salt. Serve the air fryer french fries with ketchup or any other sauce you like!
Storage and Reheating
These fries are best if enjoyed immediately after air frying. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat them in the air fryer at 400°F for about 5 minutes to get them nice and crispy again.
More potato side dishes:
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Air Fryer French Fries
- 1 pound russet potatoes (about 2-3 medium-large potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- Maldon sea salt
- Cut the potatoes into fries aiming for ½ inch by ½ inch sticks. Place the fries in strainer or colander and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Pat the fries dry with paper towels and toss in the oil. Arrange the fries in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Leave space between each fry. You may need to cook in batches.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Air fry for 8 minutes. Remove the fries, flip each one and air fry for another 8 minutes. If you need to cook in batches, warm all of the fries together at the end for 2-3 minutes.
- Immediately toss the warm fries in sea salt. Top with any other toppings you’d like and serve.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings!