These peppermint mocha cupcakes will become a new family tradition! They make the perfect cupcakes for holiday get togethers and parties!
Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes use doctored up box mix, marshmallow creme frosting and candy canes for the ultimate kid-friendly cupcake recipe!
Peppermint mocha cupcakes are cute little cupcakes that resemble a cup of hot cocoa. Mini candy canes make a handle and marshmallow creme frosting resembles whipped cream.
A few weekends ago, I attended a food conference and received some amazing tips and ideas from McCormick Spice Company on how to use extracts to really amp up box cake mixes. No fuss, no muss!
One of the things I learned was how adding just a few drops of any extract to a box mix can transform a recipe from good to great! My peppermint mocha cupcakes are just that! I used a few tablespoons of coffee extract in a regular chocolate cake mix to make them mocha cupcakes!
For the frosting, marshmallow creme whipped with vanilla or peppermint extract and powdered sugar makes for a fluffy frosting that can be spread or piped.
I didn’t want the peppermint candy canes to totally overwhelm the mocha flavor, so I used vanilla and only topped them off with a sprinkle of crushed candy cane.
Mini candy canes simply hooked to the side of each cupcake resemble the handle on a coffee mug and are perfect for eating after your mocha treat. Peppermint mocha cupcakes are super cute and perfect for any holiday party!
If you liked these Christmas cupcakes, be sure to check out these other easy holiday desserts:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Ingredients required for chocolate cake mix
- 2 tablespoons coffee extract
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 7 ounces marshmallow creme
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 30 mini candy canes
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Add coffee extract and blend. Spoon into cup cake liners and bake according to package directions. Remove from oven and set aside to fully cool.
- When cupcakes are cool, blend butter through powdered sugar. Slowly add milk until consistency is spreadable. You might not even use all 2 tablespoons. If it gets to runny, add more powdered sugar.
- Crush 6 candy canes in a airtight plastic bag. Remove the other 24 candy canes from their packages and set aside. Discard any broken ones, or use these for the crushed candy canes.
- Frost each cupcake and sprinkle with candy cane crumbles. Hang whole candy canes on the sides to resemble a cup handle.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
Wait to sprinkle with candy cane until ready to serve.