Make Orange Cardamom Cookies the new star of your cookie tray! Every year I strive to find my new *favorite* Christmas cookie and this year I decided to use a spice that is often overlooked: cardamom.
Orange Cardamom Cookies provide a festive flavor for holiday slice and bake cookies. Make ahead and even freeze until you are ready to bake!
Slice and Bake Orange Cookies are also fabulous for a cookie exchange idea or to keep in the freezer for unexpected visitors. Bright and lightly sweetened, they are perfect with tea or coffee.
If you have never had cardamom, it has a light peppery flavor and pairs well with citrus. I decided to use orange and blended these flavor affinities into a simple slice and bake cookie.
Slice and bake cookies are one of my go-to’s during the holiday season. I can make the dough days ahead of time, even freeze it, and then when I’m expecting guests, slice, bake and have warm cookies in the oven.
Super simple, it is one of my hostess with the mostess tricks. And orange cardamom cookies smell like a warm hug, scenting your entire home.
Tools for making Orange Cardamom Cookies:
- Stand Mixer- While this is an investment, I can guarantee you will use it more than you realize and will never regret the decision.
- Zester and Juicer– Another kitchen necessity! Whether it be a savory or sweet recipe, every house needs a way to zest and juice citrus. Also great for making cocktails!
If you enjoyed Orange Cardamom Cookie, you’ll also love these delicious dessert ideas!
- Lemon Cardamom Cake
- Peppermint Macarons
- Chocolate Bacon Saltine Toffee
- Christmas Cake Mix Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese Cups
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 egg
- zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- Sift together flour through salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and light in color. Add egg through cardamom and mix well.
- Slowly, add flour mixture until fully combined.
- Form cookie dough into a log about 10 inches long and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours but up to 5 days. If freezing, double wrap with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
- When ready to bake (thaw if frozen), preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut cookie dough into 1/4 inch disks and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Cookies will spread, so make sure they have some room.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and puffy. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!