Lemon Ricotta Pancake Recipe
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are a soft and fluffy pancake recipe, perfect for Sunday brunch or any random day of the week. Do you know what makes them even better? Blueberries!
Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are easy blueberry pancakes made with creamy ricotta cheese. Ricotta hotcakes are a super fluffy pancake recipe. The best pancakes from scratch!
Ricotta hotcakes are easy to make. In fact, most pancake recipes from scratch are fairly simple, but people make easy mistakes. These tips for fluffy pancakes can be applied to any pancake recipe!
Make sure you PIN Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes!
Fresh citrus from lemon zest and lemon juice pair perfectly with sweet, plump blueberries. Ricotta cheese makes the perfect pancakes, light and fluffy, they can’t be beat!
How to Make Fluffy Pancakes:
ONE. Do not overmix the batter. This is the #1 tip for fluffy pancakes and the #1 mistake people make when making pancakes.
Only mix until all batter is wet. Over mixing leads to tough pancakes.
TWO. Let the batter rest. This isn’t 100% necessary, but will help slightly. It allows the wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Sometimes when you try not to over mix, some lumps don’t totally come out resulting in little flour pockets.
However, if you whisk the dry ingredients to begin with or even sift the dry ingredients, this shouldn’t be an issue.
THREE. Some pancakes aficionados recommend separating egg whites and yolks. Blend in the egg yolks like normal, then white egg whites until frothy and fluffy, folding in last. This introduces air into the mix, making them fluffier.
FOUR. Heat the griddle and then add butter. Melted butter burns quickly, so if you add it while the griddle is heating, you’ll run the risk of burning it and missing the perfect golden brown.
FIVE. Wait to flip your pancakes until you see bubbles. Only flip your pancakes once. Make sure you aren’t preparing them on too high of heat so they have time to cook all the way through.
The only thing you need to worry about when you have such fluffy pancakes is making sure they cook all the way through. If the heat is too high, the will get overly crunchy and brown before the center is cooked.
SIX. Fluffy pancakes are best served fresh and hot. Reheated pancakes, especially microwaved, get chewy and tough.
SEVEN. Add more eggs! This recipe only calls for one egg, but some will request up to 4. For pancakes, you can add more for even fluffier height.
Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They make a great brunch meal and the homemade pancake batter can be made ahead of time. What makes ricotta hotcakes even better?
Syrup can be made ahead of time and even freezes well. They also taste great with maple syrup, lemon syrup or plain Dutch honey.
If you like pancakes, you’ll also love these easy breakfast recipes!
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Pancakes
- Classic Waffles with 13 Variations
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Buttermilk Syrup
Tools for making ricotta pancakes:
Whisks– I buy whisks in multiple sizes. You never know which one you will need
Electric griddle- while this isn’t one of my most used kitchen appliances, I love being able to control the heat setting and know it is, and will remain, a specific temperature.
Questions you might have about how to make homemade pancakes:
Do I have to use blueberries? You can use no fruit or whatever fruit you’d like. I am also partial to raspberries.
Can I use frozen blueberries? You sure can, but defrost them first.
Do I have to use an electric griddle? Nope- you can use a skillet, but it will take more time making them one-by-one. You also don’t have as much control over the temperature.
This is my favorite Heavy Bottom Frying Pan. Having something that is heavy bottom will distribute heat better and prevent burning whether you are using an electric or gas range.
Can I make the pancake mix ahead of time? You can make the batter ahead of time, cover it and use it when you are ready. I would suggest no more than several hours before cooking, maybe the night before. Give it a quick stir before using.Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are easy blueberry pancakes made with creamy ricotta cheese. Ricotta hotcakes are a super fluffy pancake recipe. The best pancakes from scratch!
Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen and thawed
- Cooking spray or butter for griddle
- Homemade Blueberry Syrup
- Whisk all dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar, in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk wet ingredients, ricotta cheese, milk, egg, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Combine dry ingredients to wet ingredients, whisking until just moistened and combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently, fold in blueberries.
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees or a large skillet to medium-high heat. Grease with butter or cooking spray.
- Measure out approximately 1/2 cup of batter for each pancake. Or make them however large or small you want. Cook 2-3 minutes or until bottoms are brown and tops begin to bubble. Flip and repeat, being careful not to overcook.
- Remove and, if desired, place into a warm oven until the remainder are finished. Continue with remaining pancake batter.
- Serve hot with Homemade Blueberry Syrup.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!