Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are a soft and fluffy pancake recipe, perfect for Sunday brunch or any random day of the week. Do you know what makes them even better? Blueberries!
Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are easy blueberry pancakes made with creamy ricotta cheese. Ricotta hotcakes are a super fluffy pancake recipe. The best pancakes from scratch!
Ricotta hotcakes are easy to make. In fact, most pancake recipes from scratch are fairly simple, but people make easy mistakes. These tips for fluffy pancakes can be applied to any pancake recipe!
How to Make Fluffy Pancakes:
- Do not overmix the batter. This is the #1 tip for fluffy pancakes and the #1 mistake people make when making pancakes. Only mix until all batter is wet. Over mixing leads to tough pancakes.
- Let the batter rest. This isn’t 100% necessary, but will help slightly. It allows the wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Sometimes when you try not to overmix, some lumps don’t totally come out resulting in little flour pockets. However, if you whisk the dry ingredients to begin with or even sift the dry ingredients, this shouldn’t be an issue.
- Some pancakes aficionados recommend separating egg whites and yolks. Blend in the egg yolks like normal, then white egg whites until frothy and fluffy, folding in last. This introduces air into the mix, making them fluffier.
- Wait to flip your pancakes until you see bubbles. Only flip your pancakes once. Make sure you aren’t preparing them on too high of heat so they have time to cook all the way through. The only thing you need to worry about when you have such fluffy pancakes is making sure they cook all the way through. If the heat is too high, the will get overly crunchy and brown before the center is cooked.
- Fluffy pancakes are best served fresh and hot. Reheated pancakes, especially microwaved, get chewy and tough.
Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They make a great brunch meal and the homemade pancake batter can be made ahead of time. What makes ricotta hotcakes even better?
Syrup can be made ahead of time and even freezes well. They also taste great with maple syrup, lemon syrup or plain Dutch honey.
If you like Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, you’ll also love these easy breakfast recipes!
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Pancakes
- Classic Waffles with 13 Variations
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Sheet Pan Pancakes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen and thawed
- Cooking spray or butter for griddle
- Homemade Blueberry Syrup
Whisk all dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar, in a medium mixing bowl.
In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk wet ingredients, ricotta cheese, milk, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Combine dry ingredients to wet ingredients, whisking until just moistened and combined. Do not over mix.
Gently, fold in blueberries.
Heat griddle to 350 degrees or a large skillet to medium-high heat. Grease with butter or cooking spray.
Measure out approximately 1/2 of batter for each pancake. Or make them however large or small you want. Cook 2-3 minutes or until bottoms are brown and tops begin to bubble. Flip and repeat, being careful not to overcook.
Remove and, if desired, place into a warm oven until the remainder are finished. Continue with remaining pancake batter.
Serve hot with Homemade Blueberry Syrup.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!