This Crispy Baked Chicken is not your typical Southern fried chicken done in the oven but a recipe packed with unexpected, finger-licking flavor.
Crispy Baked Chicken is the best oven fried chicken you’ll ever eat. It tastes just like juicy, fried chicken without ever being cooked in grease!
This recipe was one from my recipe roulette game. I am a hoarder of cookbooks – I have an entire shelf full of them in the kitchen, plus stacks throughout the house – but I always seem to forget to actually use them.
After all, sometimes it just seems much easier to quickly Google something than search through a book for that perfect recipe.
I’m trying to make it a habit to follow the recipes in the books, though, and this Crispy Baked Chicken was one of them. I just grabbed a cookbook from the shelf, flipped through a few recipes until one caught my eye and ended up with the best oven fried chicken I’ve ever tasted.
Unlike most oven baked chicken recipes, this isn’t your typical Southern fried chicken modified for the oven. It isn’t even a buttermilk fried chicken.
Instead, this recipe marinates the chicken in a vinegar based sauce to plump up the chicken pieces with tongue-tingling flavor.
One thing to note is that this Crispy Baked Chicken does require a fair amount of time to marinate. The minimum is six hours but you can leave it marinating for up to 24 hours.
You can throw the marinade together in the morning before work or even the night before and come home to chicken that just needs one more step before being tossed in the oven.
I prefer to use a variety of chicken pieces for this recipe, especially wings and thighs as I think they have the best flavor using this oven fried chicken recipe. Chicken breasts get boring, but if you prefer breasts, go ahead and use them!
Choosing this oven baked chicken recipe at random, I honestly wasn’t sure how it would turn out but I have to say this is the some of the best and juicy fried chicken I’ve ever tasted. I bet it would even pass in the South as some delicious oven fried chicken!
If you’re looking for a juicy fried chicken recipe that’s healthier than most, I definitely recommend this Crispy Baked Chicken!
Since you like this Crispy Baked Chicken, you might like this other easy chicken recipes:
Tools for making Crispy Baked Chicken:
Pie Plates– I think every kitchen should have at least three shallow dishes or pie plates for the process of breading or marinating. You can also bake pies in them! Hehe.
Rimmed Baking Sheet– another kitchen staple! You’ll use this for prep work, roasting and much more. I have 7 at my house.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 pieces chicken , rinsed and patted dry*
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese , finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Parsley , for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, Kosher salt, crushed red pepper, dried oregano and garlic powder.
- Add chicken pieces, tossing to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 6-24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, combine Italian bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken in bread crumbs, pressing into the chicken. Place on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken internal temperture reaches 165 degrees. Since the chicken pieces are different sizes and shapes, check them all. Thin pieces of chicken breast may not need as long to cook.
- Remove, garnish with minced parsley and serve hot.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
*You can use drums, wings, thighs or breasts. Cooking times will vary based on size and thickness. Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.